Initiation

Jackinzebox

Hello, apparently I need to do an initialisation before I can ask about anything else haha.

I'm a 19y/o artist from England living in France, I have a sparrow on my chest (perfect site then) and I have no training in drawing tattoos but want to have designed all my tattoos on my own. I'm hoping for some advice, perhaps on what makes it look nice, or placement of the stuff I like, perhaps advising on a different style...

Anyway, hope I find what I need here haha

ok so the first important thing is to find a good tattooer

what this means is someone who is not only a technically a sound tatttooer but also someone who understands tattoo design

the elements of what you want are fine - but in the wrong hands...

a good tattooer will save you from yourself - but there are tattooers who will say sure I'll put this exact drawing on you - and that is where problems start

so once you find the right tattooer - you can bring / send this reference and explain the jist of what you're after

then let the tattooer develop the design - the design that will be on you for life

to start - where you live - maybe you have an awesome tattooer right close by

You can use your own designs as a way explain what you want, but dont expect the artist to follow your designs too closely.

Tattooers have been designing tattoos and drawing for years and years, everyday. They also know what makes a tattoo design work. Theres no sense in adding a middle man, as it just complicates something that doesnt need to be complicated.

Im an artist as well, but id never want my own designs on my body. I have the assumption that I dont know what Im doing, and most of the time its true. I cant imagine having something on me that I drew when I was 19. For example, for my 4th tattoo I was going to get a piece of shark flash on my leg, but being the idiot I was I thought I could draw it better than the tattooer could, so I traced his design and changed it, and got him to tattoo it. It turned out decent, but it would have been much better should I just have let him do his original design. I regret it. 

Ive been painting tattoo designs for over 2 years now, and Im JUST starting to understand what makes a good design. Im going to be honest and say your design is attrocious, and that I would advise you to trust the tattooer to make a better design than you can, as I can predict youll regret having your own art on you, especially if you plan on improving your drawing skill.

Find a skilled tattooer and theyll give you a great tattoo. Theyll know how to work with your ideas and give you something that works. One mantra I find myself repeating to "tattoo noobies" is "Trust your tattooer", and thats the best advice I can give you.

Edited by a_beukeveld

i have to admit - i used to have the idea that you have to come up with your own design - i dont do that anymore as i love to work with classic designs or designs that the tattooer has created - but here are a couple of examples of 'this' becoming 'that' - luckily - Jamie Sawyer did my design ideas justice :)

large.gallery_51036_33_1461690194_17826.jpglarge.gallery_51036_3_1461690204_17964.jpglarge.gallery_51036_33_1461690205_17976.jpglarge.gallery_51036_24_1461690230_18336.jpg

Okay, I get what you're saying (atrocious I think is a bit to far but fair enough).

I understand that a tattoo artist will know what's best and going to see one who will be able to do my drawing all over again is the best bet, however talking to a professional and discussing what to change about the design is the whole reason why I'm here in the first place.

There are plenty of tattoo parlours around me who would each do something different and unique in their own way. Drawing it myself means that it's a literal expression of self, not someone's interpretation of my feelings.

I was hoping to find a bunch of people who have more experience than me in this domain willing to tell me what's wrong with the design, rather that just say it's awful and tell me to ask a professional, which is exactly what I am trying to do.

59 minutes ago, Jackinzebox said:

Okay, I get what you're saying (atrocious I think is a bit to far but fair enough).

I understand that a tattoo artist will know what's best and going to see one who will be able to do my drawing all over again is the best bet, however talking to a professional and discussing what to change about the design is the whole reason why I'm here in the first place.

There are plenty of tattoo parlours around me who would each do something different and unique in their own way. Drawing it myself means that it's a literal expression of self, not someone's interpretation of my feelings.

I was hoping to find a bunch of people who have more experience than me in this domain willing to tell me what's wrong with the design, rather that just say it's awful and tell me to ask a professional, which is exactly what I am trying to do.

You're better off just going directly to the tattooer and asking them. Theres no need to create a middleman between you and the tattooer. Even If there were tattooers on this forum (which there arent many) you still dont need anyone else's advice besides the person who is going to do the tattoo. Find one tattooer, commit to being tattooed by them, and discuss your idea with them. Dont shop hop and hope for design ideas/critiques from other artists because they probably wont give it to you.

There's allot of ways the design could be improved. Much too many for anyone to write down in a post. Improvements on balacing, tangent points, major and minor hirarchy, trasition through the composition. Stuff that takes years to learn and understand. The tattooer has already figured this stuff out. You dont need to worry about it being self expression. It will still be your idea, but just inturpreted through the eyes of someone who knows how it will work. The concept and "meaning" should never take a backseat to the design, because in the end of the day thats what a tattoo is, a design. Its meant to look good on your body.

As for saying you're "bad", take it as a gift. I wish more people told me my stuff was no good in the past. Through out the years of art making, I, and many other artists will tell you, that your art starts improving once you start hating it. The cycle to improving your artist ability is "Make something until you love it, and then stare at it until you hate it. And repeat". If you dislike a piece, it means you are concious that something is wrong, and that you need to improve. This cycle will go on until you die, and by the end if it you willmake amazing things. Youre at the beginning stages, and I assume you dont recieve much critisism of your art, just like I didnt when I was your age. If you desire to be better, fight for it. This is what I have learned.

Edited by a_beukeveld

When I get my hair cut I have a general idea of what I want but I don't cut it myself because I'm not a barber. Your drawing is perfectly fine as a piece of reference to take to a tattoo artist who will then draw you up a nice design based on your idea and give you a great tattoo. That's if you choose your artist wisely and let him/her do their thing. Your 30 year old self will thank you for being smart. Or you can be stubborn in which case you'll have a date with a laser instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk