Surgical excision...?

sister123

I would like to apologize in advance for this long-winded story.

I got a very small tattoo on my wrist that I didn't like. So I went to an artist and had an arrow put over it...but the small tattoo is still visible in the shaft portion. And it drives me crazy looking at it. The arrow tattoo is very nicely done IMO, but I'm not sure if it's really "me." I could go without it, but I don't mind it. In retrospect, I should've just gotten a cover up. I'm kinda an idiot. 

I have a few options:

-Laser. Problem is, it's just way too expensive and I probably wouldn't be able to get it for years. I asked if I could remove just the portion I don't like...and they said it would cost the same as removing the entire tattoo since my full tattoo is smaller than the smallest size they use for pricing. So if I went with laser I might consider removing the whole tattoo. 

-Cover-up. I just have no idea how I would cover up the shaft without losing the shape of the arrow. Or I could turn it into something else entirely...but I think I that end up taking up a lot of my forearm and i don't want a large tat there. I'm open to suggestions that don't involve the word panther.  It's a dot work arrow tattoo if that helps. 

-Surgical excision. This was the other option recommended to me. This way they would cut out just the portion I don't like, leaving a small scar. And later I'd tattoo the shaft back over it. It would also cost less that laser removal.

I'm seriously considering excision. As gross as it sounds. Does anyone have experience with this?

Edited by sister123

1 hour ago, sister123 said:

I'm open to suggestions that don't involve the word panther.

It's like you can read my mind.  Very impressive.

I'd recommend the laser if you really don't like this tattoo.  Have you considered just getting another (good) tattoo somewhere else on your body and learning to accept this one?

@Shaun1105

I do plan on getting more tattoos...so I can see this one fading into the back of my mind, but it's literally right in front of me all day long.

The arrow tattoo is not a bad tattoo by any means. I don't mind keeping it around..I just can't stand the older tattoo. 

I guess I just don't like the idea of having to wait however many years until i can afford laser tattoo removal . 

8 hours ago, sister123 said:

thanks i'll just jump in my time machine. brb

wouldnt that be awesome - but since you cant

i'd say live with it and learn to love it

or cover it 

getting tattooed is permanent

or at least it should be

which is why i made my comment

people are in such a rush to get a tattoo that everyone can see

and they dont even know if they want to be a 'tattooed person' yet

Edited by marley mission

Cut it right out! Slice it off! Make it bleed!

Seems like a lot of folks are coming here and posting "questions" after already having made up their mind. If you can't afford laser, wait until you can. If you can't wait cut it off. If a scar is nicer than the tattoo then go for it.

Maybe think on this one for a while as you seem to have made two decisions you are unhappy with so far, getting tattoo #1 and then getting a non coverup cover up. 

2 hours ago, marley mission said:

wouldnt that be awesome - but since you cant

i'd say live with it and learn to love it

or cover it 

getting tattooed is permanent

or at least it should be

which is why i made my comment

people are in such a rush to get a tattoo that everyone can see

and they dont even know if they want to be a 'tattooed person' yet

I actually thought about my tattoo(s) for a long time... I love tattoos, I just chose the wrong ones. 

1 hour ago, mtlsam said:

Cut it right out! Slice it off! Make it bleed!

Seems like a lot of folks are coming here and posting "questions" after already having made up their mind. If you can't afford laser, wait until you can. If you can't wait cut it off. If a scar is nicer than the tattoo then go for it.

Maybe think on this one for a while as you seem to have made two decisions you are unhappy with so far, getting tattoo #1 and then getting a non coverup cover up. 

I was also hoping there might be people who've gone the surgical route before that could share their experience...but I guess not. 

I'm thinking I should wait for laser...I can live with my tattoo for a few more years.  

10 minutes ago, sister123 said:

I actually thought about my tattoo(s) for a long time... I love tattoos, I just chose the wrong ones. 

so you were thinking about the coverup for a long time - listen - keep the tattoo - and get to a good artist before contemplating your next move - if you tell us where you are located - there are usually folks that could throw out a few names for you - because a good tattooer wouldnt have done a lame coverup on you like that

25 minutes ago, sister123 said:

I was also hoping there might be people who've gone the surgical route before that could share their experience...but I guess not. 

I'm thinking I should wait for laser...I can live with my tattoo for a few more years.  

Excising is an extreme and painful procedure. Most of us would just get it covered up or live with it. So no, you won't find any people cutting out tattoos here.

Wait for the laser! You'll be glad you did.

42 minutes ago, marley mission said:

so you were thinking about the coverup for a long time - listen - keep the tattoo - and get to a good artist before contemplating your next move - if you tell us where you are located - there are usually folks that could throw out a few names for you - because a good tattooer wouldnt have done a lame coverup on you like that

I actually specifically asked for the old tattoo to not be covered up because at the time i still wanted to see it..............like i said, i'm an idiot. it would've been SUCH an easy cover up. I should've turned it into a tree or something. but i saw an arrow that this guy did and i really liked it so I went with that. 

On September 13, 2016 at 11:06 PM, sister123 said:

it's hard enough finding a full time job.

basically any money i have left over is going to student loans. 

It's been my experience that people find the money for the things they want. Also,part-time jobs are easier to find than full-time jobs - the companies don't have to pay benefits.

It's your ink, I'm just pointing out that if you want it lazered off bad enough, you'll find a way. Not trying to call you out specifically, but most people will spend more time figuring out the 500 reasons they can't do something than figuring out the 1 way they can do something.

I'm really late to this conversation but let me chime in the only time I ever suggest someone getting a tattoo surgically cut out is if the tattoo is smaller than a typical pinky finger nail or smaller than a dime, and it's in a portion of the body where pulling skin together isn't difficult.  I.e., doing this on top of a foot, the side of a wrist, top of shin, etc. are not ideal places.

Aside from that, in an event like a tummy tuck, tattoos are often cut out when the removal of skin happens for that procedure.

The handful of clients I've had come through my office who went and tried the surgical route had horrible results and all wish they didn't do it.

I've had laser treatments, I do it for a living to other people.  It's expensive, slow and painful, I totally get that.  I'm the least pushy "sales" type guy you'll ever meet.  But that the end of the day you have a tattoo you don't love, don't do something else to your skin because you 1. can't wait or 2. can't afford to do it right because in the end, you'll end up a few years down the line not loving the change. 

Most clinics don't make you pay up front for the entire process, in fact it's pretty rare.  The first handful of treatments should be 5-6 weeks apart, at a minimum.  Based on the $1200 you were quoted, that basically means you need to save roughly $20 / week to afford laser (based on the average person needing 10-12 treatments divided by $1200).  And here's the other real truth you should know; Waiting longer between treatments will ultimately get you better results. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Panic is giving good, experienced advice. I'm getting laser to lighten a tattoo for reworking. He has been very helpful in his guidance. I'd like to suggest shopping around for laser. Sure, the low price shop may not be the best course, but the high priced are not necessarily the best. Check facility, ask questions of the exact procedure, etc. The first one that I went to was WAY over-priced. Several others that I called were not responsive to questions. One nearby was in a tattoo parlor - not bad as they know what is needed. But, it was a tattoo parlor/head shop so I didn't even check them out. I ended up with two good candidates and went with a dermatologist for two sessions and will finish with another dermatologist. The ones I ended up with are 50 - 70% less costly than the first. If you are near Allentown, PA, check GO! Tattoo Removal (Mike's place) as they have great pricing and experience. It's just too far for me, or I would have used them.