Your First Tattoo

iowagirl

I did a search but didn't see anything more than "getting/just got my first tattoo" type threads. 

Wondered about everyone's first ever tattoos. Do you still have it? Do you still like it? Do you feel attached to it? Etc. 

I got my first two days after I turned 18, on Halloween, 1992. My best friend and I got matching tattoos-a rose off the wall. Hers is teal, mine is purple. We were the only tattooed students in high school, and were considered huge bad asses. People remarked about how large it was and I thought, really? It didn't seem large to me, but, yanno, then party dots became like the "cool thing" to do, so if you put my rose next to a party dot it looked like I had a full bodysuit to those people I guess. 

As I've gone along in my tattoo adventures, I had one of mine covered, which ended up turning into this big Japanese wind/water deal, and now I'm looking at my first few from my 18-21 year old self and wondering if I want to keep them like they are, rework them, incorporating them into something new either way..or remove/cover them w/something else that fits me now. 

I have the Minor Threat black sheep on my foot, I got it a couple months after turning 18. Not the greatest experience, the guy I went to was a little unfriendly and the shop wasn't the best. Tattoo came out okay but probably needs a touchup by now. I used to be straight edge so it held a lot more meaning then than it does now, but I still like the band and it reminds me of my past and all that good stuff. I probably wouldn't do it again if I had the chance, but it doesn't really bother me either. I've considered getting a hop tattoo on my other foot for a humorous contrast between feet: one for straight edge and one for beer. :8_laughing:

I got my first tattoo about 5 years ago when my wife decided it was time for her to get a new tattoo after a long break. 

We decided to get matching tattoos of a terrible drawing I had done on a Mother's Day card of the two of us and our daughter all holding hands. Think of those stickers people put on their mini vans except drawn by someone who can't even print his own name legible most of the time. 

It is by far my worst tattoo and one of my favorites. I never thought that it would lead to all these other tattoos. 

IMG_2951.JPG

I got my first tattoo a week ago and it is a sea serpent/dragon. I just saw it in a flash book of Sailor Jerry stuff and got it.

I didnt think of any meaning at first other than it looked neat to me but as I was getting it, it reminded me of my unit's logo design, the beret flash when I was in the Army. Its also a little ironic because while my brother was in the Navy for the time I was in the army yet I am the one with a SAILOR Jerry tattoo, go figure!

Edited by BrokenTV

I didn't mention what my tattoo is, so I'll add it here. It's a drawing by the artist Keith Haring called "Barking Dog." He was a pop/graffiti artist from the 80s. He died of AIDS in 1990. I studied 20th century art in college and grad school, and I've been a fan of Keith's since I was a kid. I have two other drawings by him tattooed on me, too: a dancing man behind my left ear (from one of his larger drawings) and Funny Bunny on my right ankle. I also have a crown from graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, who was a contemporary of Haring.

large.gallery_66752_33_1461690285_19396.pnglarge.gallery_66752_3_1461690285_19395.png

My first tattoo was a little broken heart with a small rose I got straight from a flashbook when I was 14. I was shopping for clothes in the city with my mom and mentioned I wanted a tattoo. We walked straight from the mall to a tattooshop and picked something out. The original was a normal heart, but I asked for a broken one because I was "emo". Later I had some more rose added around it when I was 16. And then a (really, really badly done) girl shooting herself through the head with crows flying out, behind it when I was 17.

At 20 I finally got some sense and had the whole thing covered and started getting good tattoos. :')

Screenshot_2016-09-23-11-28-23-1_1474623067393.png

my first ever tattoo I got about 7-8 years ago - its covered now - basically i went to a local shop - got a small tattoo of plankton (yes from spongebob) which promptly became infected - skin fell off - scars were established - it was then covered by this Bob Marley tattoo - which was later chewed on by a pitbull (whole nother thread there) - anyway - my tattoo selection process has changed since then - and I dont think i'd ever get another coverup - anyway...

large.gallery_51036_9_1461690163_17120.jpg

First tattoos were wild roses on each hand and a shrimp on my collar bone 3 years ago when I was 18. They were original drawings from the t-shirt artist Craig Robson, whom was my favorite artist at the time. I was entoxicated by art school culture and didnt really think ahead. I initially wanted the shrimp behind my ear but decided to not because I thought it would hurt too much.

I regret them because they were pulled off the internet and I enhibited the artist from doing a better job because I wanted them to be exactly like the picture. I also regret getting them on my hands, as they cant be covered. Getting anything on your hands/head is a bad idea in general, let along as your first tattoo. I also regret getting the shrimp on my chest as it enhibited me from getting a large chest piece latter on.  I told the artist to make it darker after my bad heal for a touch up and it's sort of just a dark mess now. I've seen worse out there but if I was to get laser surgery these 3 would be the ones Id get rid of. I should have gotten them on my leg or something. Much easier to hide and work around.

I dont have any good photos of the shrimp as its hard to photograph, but heres a voomed in crop of me while I was getting my chest tattooed.

20160923_151719.jpg

20160923_151715.jpg

20160119_133619~2.jpg

Edited by a_beukeveld

the heart with the key and banner was my first tattoo,I got it in 1985,(I was 26)it was for an ex-wife with her name in the banner.it was flash off the wall,that's the way it was back then.

and a couple other stupid choices from a while ago.

coverup1.jpg

.but now it's all nicely covered up ! :)

coverup2.jpg

Edited by Dan

So interesting, thanks everyone! Next time we head down there (recoloring my peony on my upper arm so it flows better w/my big piece) I'm going to talk w/my artist about fixing my feet, and what can be done w/my ankles. My dragon is just a flash dragon, no attachment there..but my Tigger..I dunno if I could mess w/him. Buuut then I don't know how things will work w/the plan I have in my head for future pieces. 

My first tattoo was a trail of seven butterflies going from the front of my right hip up and around my side. I was 19 and at the time the first two sat in my undies line and the last one closer toward my back. 4 kids and 12 years on, they sit very differently ? poor things have been through a fair bit! In the past I wanted to either rework them or add to them, but now I'm too sentimental and like them all stretched and sad looking ?

I got my first tattoo 6 days ago. A traditional sailor jerry bald eagle with American flag. I plan to add a lot more around it though. I never understood what drove someone to get full sleeves...now I do :2_grimacing:.

Edit: The first picture is fresh,  the second is 6 days into healing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by marfil98

• 3 weeks later...