Your First Tattoo

iowagirl

Great thread!

My first tattoo was a Chicago Bears logo on my butt, in 2007. At the time I wasn't into the Bears or tattoo's, but I was watching the game with some friends and for no good reason exclaimed "if they win at this point, I'll get their logo tattooed on me". My friend made me shake on it. Sure enough, some last minute miracles happened and they won. The first shop denied me. I didn't get another tattoo for another 6 years.

Horitomo is in the process of covering the tattoo.

butt.jpeg

Edited by GlaryMilberg

1 hour ago, shootinlikejimmer said:

Got my first 3 years ago, takes up Most of my forearm. Have for a few since then but not at the rate I'd like to haha. Bills come before tattoos unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got pics ?

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to add this one,it's not my first,but probably my 2nd or 3rd from around 1985,I still love this one.

and as long as the tattoo of the month is skulls,I thought my old school skull patch  is pretty cool.

this was by California Ralphworld famous emporium of tattoos in Van Nuys, Ca

RIP Ralph 

skullpatch.jpg

Edited by Dan

My first was 2 hearts and a banner with my wife (at the time) and my name in a banner. Actually pretty well done. This was in 1977. By 1979 her name was inked over. In 1980 the whole tattoo was covered with a snake and rose. In 2011 that tattoo was covered up with a big peony. I think it is now covered up enough.

My first was 14 years ago when I was 19. It was one of those where I walked into the shop and picked an existing design. It's a snake around a half moon! How ridiculous. It's not very well done (at this stage some people think it's a monkey..) but I swear I can't get rid of it. As the first I do feel really attached to it! I've covered up another tattoo but I think I'll never cover up this one. It's on my belly so it's not visible all the time which helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Wow, so interesting hearing the stories behind your first tattoos! I wasn't going to post my train wrecks, but y'all have inspired me to join in. :)

Not long after my mom died in 2000 I fell into something of a depression and am convinced that that was what prompted me to do my first tattoo. A ten year student of martial arts I chose to do a black yin yang ... I did it with a bare sewing needle in the palm of my hand -duh.  But it turned out alright, considering. Not long after we moved back to the city and I went to a tattoo artist to have it made more professional looking and colored.  Wish I hadn't - at least my original had been properly round. The red he added evaporated with the healing, he squared off the separation in wrong proportions and made the white spot almost disappear.

Here it is tweaked now with an owl outline that I added myself friday ... the owl is still very scabby and needs a some touching up of the outline still and color...but not terrible for my first try with a machine, I think. 

I got the fairy holding the violin done by a professional also while in that depression ... will probably get that covered up one day.

And I also got a dragon chasing a butterfly on my forearm right after that ...ugh ... I'm working on covering that up myself, right now, with a half sleeve. 

owl.jpg

fairy.jpg

I got my first tattoo on a whim. My best friend and I would drive around and just talk and got talking about how we wanted tattoos that represented where we were from. That became "let's find a shop and get them done tonight!" and an hour later we both has terrible outlines of the NYC skyline, mine on my hip and his on his upper leg. Blown out lines, buildings mixed up, completely regrettable. But I still love it because it represents the time in my life when we'd drive to the beach and walk the boardwalk for hours just talking about anything and everything, being a carefree 19 year old college kid.

Thankfully it's in an area that's completely hidden so I don't have to worry about explaining it to anyone :P

Edited by ilysespieces

Some interesting stories in this thread. I got my first tattoo(s) when I was 22. I had always been into them since I was about 13 or so but it took me that long due to being a broke kid and I used to have a fear of needles. I was still pretty broke when I decided to get tattooed so I was trying to find someone who would do it cheaply. This was obviously a bad mistake on my part. I know now that good tattoos aren't cheap. I got two shamrocks, one on each arm with the Gaelic words for love and hope. I got it done in a basement by a kid who went to high school with me. When he had to stop in the middle of the tattoo because his mom asked him to do the laundry, that's when it set in that this was probably a bad idea. 

When the tattoos healed they pretty much fell off like temporary ones. They looked so pale and terrible. I'm assuming he used some cheap, shitty ink, didn't put it deep enough in my skin or some combination of the two. It was embarrassing walking around with them for a couple of months but I totally deserved it. Saved some cash and got them redone by a real tattooer at a shop(Mark Blanchard, Off the Map, Easthampton, MA). He got all the ink in there well and really made the green pop. I learned my lesson that you get what you pay for and I still like the shamrocks today. Sorry I don't have a pic of just the tattoos but you can see them pretty well in this pic. Also it's weird for me to see this picture because they were my only tattoos in it and I just got my 30th last week.

39079_427673393424_7183243_n.jpg

Edited by PlaceInTheSun
Forgot to add the file

I'll repeat my old story that wasn't posted on this thread.....

In May 2014, I got my first tattoo. Though I've been into art for years, tattoos have been something I've been into since my teens. I was always hesitant because I didn't want to live with that "regretful" tattoo mixed with not being able to afford a good artist.

I began my diet at 360 pounds, I kept saying to myself I'm going to get a tattoo when I lost 25 pounds. I got past 25 pounds then bumped it up to 50 pounds. Past that mark then 100 pounds. Past that and finally said when I lost 125 pounds I'm going to get a tattoo.

FINALLY I got up to 128 pounds lost. I decided that's it I'm doing it.  Being a fan of Luke Wessman's artwork and life story since about July of 2013. I needed him to do my first tattoo.  Went to Wooster Street Social Club the day the doctor confirmed my weight loss.  He took me as a walk-in. Having his talent, great back story and awesome conversation only fueled the fire of getting more tattoos.

After having another 3 sessions with Luke, I went nuts and began getting tattooed by a few others: Timothy Hoyer, Mark Mahoney, Chris Garver (3x), Deno, Steve Wimmer and Rich Pineda. 

First Tattoo (sorry for big pic)

20140620_143221.thumb.jpg.4af8539e95d8b6b9032eed92e08e11bc.jpg

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• 3 weeks later...

My first tattoo was a spur of the moment, rebellious act. A small script that faded over the years and resembled a scribble. So I finally got the tattoo I always wanted about two years ago to cover it up. It's perfect, it's meaningful, and I loved the tattoo artist.

Mine was six months ago, at 28. I got the fever as last summer started in Chicago, when you start to see visible skin after many months of hibernation in coats, and I was really jealous of everyone's tattoos. I would creepily stare at people's ink in public (smooth). It occurred to me that I could just get some myself. I got a hibiscus with a little shamrock next to it. I'm half Puerto Rican, half Irish. I felt like I needed to do something "meaningful" for my first, which I now regard as a little silly but I do love it. The tattooer did a great job and hibiscus is my favorite flower. Wish this pic isn't so dark - it's about a month healed here.

ashleywolly.jpg