Hello!

Edonte

Hi there!  I'm new here, and to the tattoo community in general.  I am currently a freshman at Virginia Tech (Go Hokies!).  Anyway, I haven't been inked yet, and I don't plan on it for the next two years (I want to get in better shape/ have some money/ not get yelled at by my parents).  I figured I can use that time to brainstorm tattoo ideas, I would love to get a custom half sleeve first.  Hopefully in two years I will become a decent enough artist to design my own tattoo.  I've been playing around with some ideas if anyone would like to give me advice or play around with them (please).

IMG_5273.JPG

There are some cool ideas there but don't design your own tattoo. Find an artist whose work you love, present your ideas/sketches/etc. and let them go to work. That's how you get a good tattoo. Spend those next two years saving your money and looking at artists on Instagram and elsewhere instead. Seriously you've done enough. I'd ditch the quote though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

start local - instagram makes it super easy - i like the concepts you're thinking of - but yeah ultimately you'll be bringing those ideas to a solid tattooer who can make something you'll be proud to wear - keep having fun with the art though - some of my earlier tattoos were based on drawings i made - enjoy

Welcome to the forum!! There are lots of great people here who can offer a wealth of wisdom. By all means, take your ideas of what you want/like and talk with some local artists. Look at their work and see how they respond to your ideas - and you are not looking for someone who will give you whatever you want. You need to find the one who understands your ideas and desires and then will create the right tattoo for you - the one that not only represents your ideas but that also fits, flows, is properly placed and sized and that is technically and artistically correct. Notice that I didn't say "perfect." You will always be disappointed if you expect perfection. This is art, it is done in real time and it is one of a kind. Great? Yes. Awesome? Oh yeah!!! Find the right artist and awesome is guaranteed.

34 minutes ago, Edonte said:

Thanks for the advice and artist suggestions guys! I really appreciate it!

Amid all the discussion we've had of late about how we interact with new members and people wanting advice, this is the epitome of a perfect interaction. Advice sought, open to suggestions and the advice given and grateful for what is provided. Whether or not any of it is used, we all come away feeling good. Nailed it.

On 9/21/2016 at 6:25 AM, marley mission said:

if it were me - i'd keep an eye on this guy:

http://instagram.com/julianbast

also this shop

http://instagram.com/absolutearttattoo

you can check the interview section too to listen to Mike Rennie and Brian Bruno from Absolute talk tattoos

Also, maybe once you're feeling more confident from looking online, don't hesitate to look at portfolios in a shop! The pictures are so much better even if you've seen some of the same images on Instagram, plus you can get a sense of whether your prospective tattooer will be kind and helpful for your first tattoo.