Please help me decide what to do about tattoo. Opinions wanted!

marfil98

Hello everyone, I'm posting here because it looks like I need to make 10 good, informed posts elsewhere before starting a general topic discussion. I got my first tattoo a week ago, and it's healed nicely. The thing is, while it looked perfect at the shop, once healed up (and after hours of staring at it in the mirror) I've noticed a few things. Mainly three instances where the artist's hand slipped when doing shading/linework, and some blowout around some lines, which I understand is caused by the needle going too deep. My question is, should I go back to the same artist to have it touched up or should I go elsewhere? Is the overall quality of the work good? Despite these (possible non) issues I would like to continue getting tattoed by the same artist. Also it should be noted that this is based off of some Sailor Jerry flash I've liked for a while.

EDIT: While the placement may look wonky in some pictures that's just due to my awful posture. It's actually dead-on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by marfil98

1 hour ago, marfil98 said:

Hello everyone, I'm posting here because it looks like I need to make 10 good, informed posts elsewhere before starting a general topic discussion. I got my first tattoo a week ago, and it's healed nicely. The thing is, while it looked perfect at the shop, once healed up (and after hours of staring at it in the mirror) I've noticed a few things. Mainly three instances where the artist's hand slipped when doing shading/linework, and some blowout around some lines, which I understand is caused by the needle going too deep. My question is, should I go back to the same artist to have it touched up or should I go elsewhere? Is the overall quality of the work good? Despite these (possible non) issues I would like to continue getting tattoed by the same artist. Also it should be noted that this is based off of some Sailor Jerry flash I've liked for a while.

EDIT: While the placement may look wonky in some pictures that's just due to my awful posture. It's actually dead-on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i would be patient until your tattoo is healed, sometime blow out and stuff can die down when your healing process is complete!

Looks fine! Remember that it's a tattoo and not a drawing on paper - skin is a much trickier medium to master and things like that are common. I'd suggest trying not to worry about it. Maybe check in with your artist in a month, but there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done so soon after the initial appointment.

As everyone else has said, it looks great!! Remember that it takes at least 6 full weeks for your skin to fully heal after the trauma of tattooing. Let it happen. Also, remember that your tattoo is unique to you - an imperfection, even very small ones like you've pointed out - just make it truly yours and a one-of-a-kind. We have a totally custom-designed house - a one-off designed by an architect and then custom-built. There are a few imperfections that cropped up along the way....and we love and celebrate each small "ooops."

I think your artist did an amazing job. By all means talk to him about your tattoo...and I wouldn't hesitate to have him do another piece, if I were you. Be proud of your eagle and flag!