Help covering up tattoos. Any ideas?

marfil98

Hello everyone. I had four tattoos done a few days ago. Three of them came out badly, the linework looks sloppy, the proportions are off and the shading looks half-heartedly done. One (the skull) came out perfect. On top of it all, I was over charged by the owner of the shop AFTER the tattoos were done and the artist had set a price. I want to have the other three removed or covered up. I can't stand the idea of having something on my body that I don't like 100%. What say you guys, laser or cover up? Or laser THEN cover up? The whole thing's really bummed me out, as I love my first tattoo (done by the same artist) and the skull, as well as the art of tattooing in general and look forward to getting more. I showed my mother and even she noticed that they looked bad. Especially when compared to my other tattoo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm kind of freaking out. And please don't say "just live with it" I can't. I want everything to look as good as possible and these don't.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by marfil98

These are cool little tattoos imo

i dont see the issues at all

i would say 'live with it' of course

and i'd think long and hard before you get tattooed again

because i think your expectations of what tattoos are  might be a bit distorted

good luck though whatever path you choose

Edited by marley mission

I wholly agree with @marley mission. I think what you have looks great. It seems to me that no matter the recommendation, or what you choose, you're still going to be disappointed. You seem to be fixated on perfection...and that doesn't exist in the art of tattooing or anywhere other than in Photoshop. The 4 pieces you had done were custom designs you gave to the artist - they are now one-off pieces no one else has....done by human hands on a medium that is filled with bumps, imperfections and distortions. Please, before you do anything, let these heal. Take time to research, to look at the works of various artists, to spend time deciding how you want to proceed...or not. You've had reactions from some of the most experienced folks here (and me, the newbie) who have responded positively to the pieces you've gotten - that should tell you something. You are surely over-thinking the work.

That said, you always have the option of trying to cover or laser your work. Both require a lot of research, thought and a clear commitment to what you want done. Pick an artist who you have had time to sit with, in advance, who's work you want and have him/her design something for you. And, when you totally approve of the design, then go ahead. From your reactions to your work so far, it appears that any chance of satisfaction would require you to seek out one of the top-notch artists - understanding this will take perhaps a year or more to get scheduled and a significant investment of money.This is permanent.

I hope you find peace and satisfaction.

Agreed with what has been said here!  You are new to this and are expecting something that doesn't exist. Your tattoos are great!  I was admiring them earlier and am surprised at this post. Well not too surprised because a lot of folks go through this over analyzation when they first dip their toe into this world. 

You have some really nice pieces. Stop over analyzing them and enjoy them. Nothing wrong with any of them. Your expectations are unrealistic. Not trying to be a jerk. A lot of us were like that at first. Please do not waste any energy worrying about them or trying to cover them.  They look great. 

Theyre fine. Youre over thinking it because they're some of your first tattoos. Plus theyre not even healed yet.

You might have had a friend (or mom, in this case) or something say they look bad, or read some stuff online that made you worry. Hell, I remember crying over my first tattoos, and they were on my f*cking hands! Tattoos arent perfect. They're hand made. Dont expect them to be 100% perfect because you will never get that.

Trust me, you're over thinking it. Go get some other tattoos. It works.

Live with it, and learn from them.

Edited by a_beukeveld

Those tattoos all seem fine to me. You seem to be rushing along here with your first tattoo about two weeks ago now. You didn't seem to keen on that one, though it looks as good as your others, but then you went back for more...

Tattoos are still a forever thing, don't settle for getting what's convenient if you have exacting taste, but once you've got it Live With It! 

I hope you don't go back to that shop as it doesn't seem to meet your expectations. Let everything heal up and by that I mean wait two or three months, then it will be time to evaluate what to do next. If you still hate them, you should probably get them lasered off and step out of the tattoo game as the art-form might not best suit you.

Edited by mtlsam

Wow, thanks for the honest responses everyone, I wasn't expecting this! :7_sweat_smile: After giving it some serious thought I've decided to leave well enough alone. You're all right, I am over analyzing this. Maybe it's because I've got some sh*t going on right now that's giving me a lot of stress, plus I've always been like this, over analyzing things and having unrealistic expectations. And while I'm still not sure about returning to the same shop, I really do want to continue collecting. But next time I will put more though into design and placement, and when I'm sure of what I want I'll give it even more thought. I look forward both to getting more tattoos and to sharing them on here with you guys. Thanks :14_relaxed:.

1 hour ago, marfil98 said:

Wow, thanks for the honest responses everyone, I wasn't expecting this! :7_sweat_smile: After giving it some serious thought I've decided to leave well enough alone. You're all right, I am over analyzing this. Maybe it's because I've got some sh*t going on right now that's giving me a lot of stress, plus I've always been like this, over analyzing things and having unrealistic expectations. And while I'm still not sure about returning to the same shop, I really do want to continue collecting. But next time I will put more though into design and placement, and when I'm sure of what I want I'll give it even more thought. I look forward both to getting more tattoos and to sharing them on here with you guys. Thanks :14_relaxed:.

Rad. 

Now go get a dragon.

your tattoos look fine! they look like tattoos. perhaps there is a looseness, crudeness in the final product that is making you feel off but accept that is also part of the territory with that style/look. the way you felt you were treated by the shop owner may also be a variable with the sour taste left with you (and on you). but your tattoos are only a few days old! let the heal. every tattoo is an experience which you live and learn from...and this experience will likely lead you to a) going slow and b) trying out a new tattoo parlour.

little tattoos are popular for rookies because they are easier to commit to in the mind and on the body. but bigger tattoos are more forgiving with the imperfections. there are no do-overs with tattoos - sure you can lazer and coverup, but the original tattoo (and the experience) will never fully disappear.

slow it down a bit moving forward as you collect...you don't need to jump in and get multiple at a time. get your tattoo-sit-flow and work up to that. focus on one tattoo at a time and get used to accepting the post-tattoo anxiety and overanalysis - it's perfectly normal. I've been getting tattooed for over a decade and I still get it, even worse now!

i think the look you've got - small traditional tattoos around the shoulder - is great starting point. perhaps they will compliment a nice big-ass tattoo across the chest - when you're ready to take that plunge in the future.

don't rush it though - tattoo isn't a race. 

yup, just read your latest lowdown post ... 4 at a time! gear down ther big rig and enjoy the scenery!

also ... look into the classic Pharoahs Horses design. Could be an excellent idea across the chest to compliment the biblical look/theme you're going for. But once you got the idea, SIT ON IT for a while before you take the plunge. The wait the anticipation the tattoo-foreplay is part of the excitement! You just got your feet wet, doesn't mean you need to jump off the high diving board quite yet!

I think your tattoos are really cool.

One thing about tattoo shading I've found -- it always looks better on someone else. When you are looking at your own shading, you are up close and you see how inexact it looks, you see the needle lines, and sometimes it even looks sloppy. That's because it is designed to read from a distance -- which is why it looks fine in your pictures and to others.

Your line work may leave a little to be desired, but while maybe not excellent, I don't think it's bad enough to actually call bad. And you kinda want those traditional old-school flash-y looking tattoos to have hand-drawn look. I really think they would look worse if they were super precise. It's a style.

This forum isn't reddit, so if people here are saying they like the tattoos, you can bank on the fact the fact that they're pretty good.

10 minutes ago, otisc said:

PPSS -- One issue that no one has brought up is what you said about the shop owner over-charging you for the pieces? How did that happen? If you were quoted a price, that should stand.

Yeah that's one of the things that bothered me the most about the whole thing. When I first got there, I started talking to the artist about the designs and the owner popped by and quoted me a price, it was a little high but whatever, I'm not gonna haggle. But then, when I was talking to my artist, he quoted me a lower amount which I agreed to. Then when he finished he said he "had to go ask his boss" something and when he came back he told me the price was now considerably higher than even the first price the owner set. I then asked him why he quoted me a lower price initially and he just kinda shrugged and went to go talk to the owner again. In the end I ended up paying the higher amount. Now I may be new to tattoos but I'm not new to business and those business practices frankly seem sleazy to me.

1 hour ago, marfil98 said:

On a side note, I would love to know the story behind that octopus/peanut butter tattoo :4_joy:

oh man 

well basically i love peanut butter

i ended up making a drawing which then went to the artist (Jamie Sawyer in Clinton NJ)

and she turned it into tattoo magic

here is the drawing

large.gallery_51036_33_1461690205_17976.jpg

Edited by marley mission

I got my second tattoo a week after my first. A little black and grey wolf head. I was convinced it wasn't great despite the fact it really was. I asked a very old school tattooer in another shop to cover it with the red hot chili peppers logo and he sternly explained to me that the tattoo was very well done and he wouldn't cover it. 25 years later I am thankful for his gruff advice and adamant refusal and realize how completely off base I was. Just because a certain detail doesn't look 100% dead on doesn't mean it isn't a good tattoo. Super glad I left it alone since I really can't stand the chili peppers at all anymore. 

Usually if I'm not happy with a tattoo it has a lot to do with the experience (arrogant artists, bad shop vibe etc) not always the actual tattoo. Think that has happened here since you got overcharged. It's really easy to obsess but try to channel your focus into other stuff for a while - it's almost winter so at least you won't see them all the time. 

Get more tattoos when the time is right and do a heck load of research.