Help covering up tattoos. Any ideas?

marfil98

I also think your expectations of what tattoos are might be a bit distorted.

Also wait a while before getting more, until you settle a bit. 

My first 7 tattoos are all covered up because they were too small for what eventually became my ambitions.

One constant thing with small tattoos is that, since it is so small, little deviations seem to be magnified in our minds, if the tattoo is larger, you would not sweat small issues, because they would not be issues at all. tattooers are human, not printers, so there is always a human element to the application (both applicator error and client wiggling), you just may not have noticed it yet in other tattoos (the artist knows probably lol). 

Until they invent a tattoo printer, (which would suck in my opinion), there will always be artistic deviances, that are unique to that tattooer at that time and place,... point is, even if you get the same tattoo design by the same tattooer 3 years later it would look different because the artist is different, always evolving and changing. that is one of the wonderfully human parts of tattoo art.

7 hours ago, Charles.M said:

I also think your expectations of what tattoos are might be a bit distorted.

Also wait a while before getting more, until you settle a bit. 

My first 7 tattoos are all covered up because they were too small for what eventually became my ambitions.

One constant thing with small tattoos is that, since it is so small, little deviations seem to be magnified in our minds, if the tattoo is larger, you would not sweat small issues, because they would not be issues at all. tattooers are human, not printers, so there is always a human element to the application (both applicator error and client wiggling), you just may not have noticed it yet in other tattoos (the artist knows probably lol). 

Until they invent a tattoo printer, (which would suck in my opinion), there will always be artistic deviances, that are unique to that tattooer at that time and place,... point is, even if you get the same tattoo design by the same tattooer 3 years later it would look different because the artist is different, always evolving and changing. that is one of the wonderfully human parts of tattoo art.

Yeah, honestly the more I look at them, especially after they've healed up a bit and "peeled" I'm starting to like them. I'm thinking of adding a little more color to them though. Looking back with a clearer mind one of the things that bothered me was my choice of placement, because they take up space that could have been used for something bigger, but hey, I can always fit things around them. I'm thinking maybe some type of water snake/sea monster maybe. I will sit on designs and consider placement for a while before getting anything else though. In a few days I'm leaving on a much needed vacation to south america. Who knows, I might find some inspiration there.

While I'm on the topic, I've been thinking about adding some color to the scales and the skull's teeth. Since they're all part of the same theme, I think the gold might tie them all together. Plus hey, a little color never hurts right? What do you guys think? Here's my (not so great but kinda gives you the gist of it) computer render of it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, marfil98 said:

While I'm on the topic, I've been thinking about adding some color to the scales and the skull's teeth. Since they're all part of the same theme, I think the gold might tie them all together. Plus hey, a little color never hurts right? What do you guys think? Here's my (not so great but kinda gives you the gist of it) computer render of it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Leave them alone and move on!

The best wisdom I got from my artist is that if you look at ANY tattoo long enough you'll find something wrong with it. Enjoy the big picture.