Honest thoughts on these tiny, fine line tattoos

Just an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.instagram.com/west4tattoo/  But you've probably seen these types of tattoos all over pinterest. 

I love the look, personally, but I'm worried about how they'll stand against the test of time. What are your honest thoughts about that? Will they fade quickly or become fuzzy? 

not a fan of small tattoos

unless you're covered in tattoos 

and you're getting fun filler type of stuff

i really dislike small script tattoos

but - that stuff is popular

and i think because there is definetly

clusters of people that want to have a tattoo

buuuuuuuuuuut...not really

and i guess i'm just not a fan of that

i feel like the micro-tattoos from the 'gram link posted are one size too small. The scale of the tattoo and proportion to the body location is off. They'd have a much better impact and longevity as a tattoo and better placement if they were upsized by ~10%.  They look more like a sticker or temporary tattoo IMO... 

...and then I realize the 'gram link posted is for the tattoo "artist" JonBoy who gives all the unskilled affluent celebrities all their superboring tattoos that the mainstream is so easily dazzled by.  i feel like LST should be encouraging people to get tattooed like fucking David Lee Roth and not some Kendell Jenner bullshit sticker "tattoo".  i mean people can get tattooed with whatever, but c'mon...

i've got some micro tattoos and they are super-fun...my grumpy bumble bee is my smallest and favourite tattoo. but I'm cramming them into the gaps between worn full scale tattoos which makes them interesting to me as the owner and more fascinating/funny to onlookers when I point them out in my hypercolour mess. cheers

18 minutes ago, marley mission said:

that stuff is popular

and i think because there is definetly

clusters of people that want to have a tattoo

buuuuuuuuuuut...not really

exactly. these are for "tatt-tourists" - people that want a cool tattoo like their fave celebrity but want to get tattoo with as minimal commitment as possible.

Edited by bongsau

Honestly, as someone who is very new to tattoos, I would advise getting something big and bold. Yes it is a scary thing to do when you're starting out, and yes it is easier to commit to smaller designs, and once you have it, you may have a small freak-out, I know I did, but as some very smart people on here told me "If you're not ready to fully commit, seriously reconsider getting tattooed" Now, that doesn't mean you should go out and get a huge dragon full-back piece (though I don't care who you are, that will always look badass) but pick a design you like and make it at least big enough to see without squinting :3_grin: I hope you find a design you love and for god's sake don't get a tattoo on impulse or because "it's the cool thing to do" get it because YOU want to. Remember, in 40 years instagram and pinterest probably won't be around. But you and whatever tattoo you choose will be. Or, you could get a panther, that works too.

@sister123 yeah to a certain degree i agree - i mean whatever floats your boat right - i just say personally i dont like microscipt tattoos - just me personally - and i will say i like most tattoos - i guess the thing that moves me towards disliking a tattoo is when the readability becomes an issue - which it definitely does when it comes to microscript pieces

Edited by marley mission

1 hour ago, BrianH said:

agreed as long as they are going to quality shops/artists.  but too often people think "it is just a small simple design so anyone can do it!"

yeah i made that mistake once.

but many go to the celebrity artists like dr. woo and jonboy...who i'm sure charge a ludicrous amount for their tiny tats. 

2 hours ago, Hospitelli said:

@sister123 Yes. Fine line tattooing and micro tattoos will not stand the test of time. I say go for it if you really do want it because being that it is such a small tattoo you could always get a tattoo over it. A dagger going thru a wolf or gorillas head should cover it right up!

So true