Honest thoughts on these tiny, fine line tattoos

9 minutes ago, sister123 said:

i think this one wins the prize for "someone who doesn't actually want tattoos" tattoo. 

Honestly thats a tattoo that annoys the shit out of me

i really dont like being judgemental about tattoos but i really dont like this one in any way

now i'm not a tattooer but i do know my personality and i would imagine that if i was a tattooer this would be a tattoo i would refuse to do - jus saying

I like such tattoos, because they are funny and cute, but I don't have anything like this yet.
And it's strange but many times when I asked people about their favorite tattoo it turned out it was the smallest.
Anyway, it's always really easy to cover it up:))))

To each his/her own.

I am a big advocate of large pieces. It is what appeals to me. But who am I to judge others? Certainly some people get tattoos like this because they are so worried about what people will think that they get something microscopic that will never show. And as others have said, maybe these people shouldn't be getting tattoos. 

But some people may make an deliberate aesthetic decision to get something tiny.

At the risk of being flamed here, sometimes a tiny tattoo placed dramatically can be appealing. Dramatic contrast between figure and ground. Certainly fading and the inevitable "fuzzing out" of the image will affect it in the long run, so it is a challenge to select an image or shape that is simple enough to read for a long time.

10 minutes ago, draganb said:

Don't quite get all the hate. Not all tattoos are there for someone else to look at them. The above one is ridiculous tho

check where you are - its right on the home page:

Welcome to Last Sparrow Tattoo

The mission of this website is to help preserve the craft of GOOD tattooing and to serve as an educational resource for those who want to learn the difference between good and bad tattoos. There are more bad than good tattoo artists out there, so it is more important than ever to do your research before getting tattooed. 

On 10/9/2016 at 4:21 AM, Ammy said:

I like such tattoos, because they are funny and cute, but I don't have anything like this yet.
And it's strange but many times when I asked people about their favorite tattoo it turned out it was the smallest.
Anyway, it's always really easy to cover it up:))))

I've never met anyone who said they liked their smallest tattoo the best. Who on earth are you talking to? People with two tiny tattoos?

53 minutes ago, draganb said:

Don't quite get all the hate. Not all tattoos are there for someone else to look at them. The above one is ridiculous tho

I suggest, that you not misinterpret sharing negative life experiences and expressing those experiences, as hate on for something. Getting small tattoos then regretting them and covering them seems to be part of the tattoo growth process, but if I can help another evolve faster  than I did and not make my mistakes then I want to help. the wisdom of hindsight may come across harshly or heavy handed but I believe it is with good intention. that is where I am coming from. Humour helps sometimes.

to each his own, but each has to live with it...there for a while and all that

18 hours ago, oboogie said:

I've never met anyone who said they liked their smallest tattoo the best. Who on earth are you talking to? People with two tiny tattoos?

Honestly, all of them were girls. I remember that one of such tattoos was like matching mother-daughter tattoo. And the daughter appreciates this tattoo more than all others. 

And another time it was a cool tiny guitar. This is from what I remember) And they had big tattoos too - not two tiny)

• 5 months later...

Ok, so embarrassing size and commitment issues aside, how much will a line as thin as that ridiculous lightning bolt actually expand over a period of 30 years? Might sound basic but I am at level zero of tattoo knowledge and am genuinely interested.

Or for example the small ball type things on the smaller of the flowers on the rib flower tattoo? Is that just going to be a large black blob in 30 years?

3 hours ago, iowagirl said:

I can't imagine they'd spread *that* much. Those of us with large tattooed areas would end up looking ridiculous covered in undecipherable weirdness if the ink spread that much. 

This Is what I want to hear, as a tattoo I want is effectively a lot of lines together to make up an image, I want to allow for ink spread so if and when it spreads it continues to look good if not better than new, but I will expand on this with a thread when I have a bit more knowledge under my belt as I've never seen it done before, and I'd like more opinions on whether it's even possible.

Or find an artist you like who works in that style and trust him or her. A good experienced tattooer will know how to put something on you that stands the test of time. Which also means you have to listen to what they can and cannot do. Too many people end up with shit tattoos because they're stubborn or think they know better

6 minutes ago, DJDeepFried said:

Too many people end up with shit tattoos because they're stubborn or think they know better

That is not a mistake I intend to make. This is not my trade, if I tell someone a piece of industrial equipment is broken or unsafe, I expect them to suck it up and piss off (I'm an engineer). If an artist tells me it cant be done or it will look terrible in a few years, then I'm going to listen and behave accordingly.

At the moment I'm in Ukraine, but I'm somewhat of a Nomad at the moment, I guess the pro is I'm willing to travel countries to find an artist if I need to. But the con is I've learned on here that I cant really get judged by an artist just by email and I'm never anywhere for very long. 

I think I'll make a thread about it tomorrow with some pictures, it always paints a better picture!

• 3 weeks later...