Edge Day related tattoos

Charles.M

As you may or may no know, Edge Day is celebrated annually on October 17 since 1999. The inaugural event, originally called Edge Fest, was held in Boston, Massachusetts.

I would like to shake the lastsparrowtattoo tree and see who falls out... lol.

Lets share our XXX, Straight Edge and or Edge Day related tattoos...unless I am alone in this, then dang!

I have a very small XsXeX on my wrist. It was the first tattoo I got when I was 21, and not only is it a straight edge tattoo, it's a memorial for a friend who broke edge and bad things happened.

My gallery also has a Minor Threat "Out of Step" tattoo. Not directly straight edge, I guess, but to me it is. Got it while I was 30 (XXX) years old. 

Edited by suburbanxcore

My tattoo and a story:

I got the Minor Threat sheep when I was 18.

I was straight edge from 14 - 24, when I broke edge for alcohol (the only substance I use, and even then I'm pretty much just a beer snob :8_laughing:). I still have a lot of the same beliefs and thought processes I used to have about substance use and abuse, so I don't regret getting it and I'm not one of those embarrassing people that gets wasted every weekend with a straight edge tattoo on full display. I might have one (craft) beer after a tough day at work, but that's about the extent of it. For me personally, I just started to have more of an "in moderation" type viewpoint with everything as I got older and trying to remain straight edge felt forced and like it wasn't right for me anymore. I was having a lot of problems with depression and anxiety and it was one of the contributing factors; I was trying to be be something I didn't necessarily believe in anymore and the very idea of having all these limitations was stressful. Now I choose to abstain more often than not, but it's on my terms so it's almost more empowering in a way. Still love the people involved in the scene and the music, but yeah, trying to label myself straight edge when I didn't have my heart in it anymore was just doing me more harm than good.

@Synesthesia for sure, man. It's not for everyone. For me, it was something I always sort of lived by, but almost not intentionally until late high school. As I got older and more of my friends got into heavy drinking, harder drugs, dealing, dying, etc, I just knew it was better for me. Plus, my mother's family has a pretty serious issue with alcoholism, so I always wanted to avoid that. That all said, I'm actually one of very few people in any of my social circles ever that is/was straight edge, and I've never been one to preach at all. At this point in my life, I'm 33 years old and don't ever see my edge status changing. I don't know if anyone remember's that website How's Your Edge, but that was always their first interview question. Mine is still sharp as fuck.

@Charles.M Thanks for starting this thread. Wish there was a bit more to it. Haha.

thanks  suburbanxcore    and   Synesthesia 

I respect other's choices, whatever they are. If more SXE actually respected others personal choices not to be Edge, then, the back and forth would be better for all. A few bad apples reflect on us all, my choices are for me, it's my own and I do not need or look for endorsement, from others for that experience, though I like to associate with other SXE, because, that commonality connects us in a primal way I think. Simply put, if I was the last man on Earth I would still be Edge. 

Being edge means more money for tattoos though, lol. Less beer = more tattoo budget ...

seems the hardcore scene has picked up where the Edge scene left off...same energy, but booze in the mix. 

Funny thing is that I chose to be sober before I knew that Straight Edge was a thing. When I decided to take Art seriously, I realized two simple things, that the shakes is not value added for tattooing and memory is not improved by partying. 

16 hours ago, oboogie said:

I seriously didn't know anyone over the age of 25 called themselves straight edge. Fascinating.

I had a fair number of snarky replies drafted, but figured I'd bite my tongue. To tie into that "state of the union" thread or whatever, I will say that this is exactly the type of reply that is pushing me away from this board the way I used to. You have three people discussing tattoos/their significance and a topic that apparently in no way involves you, then you feel the need for a passive aggressive comment because you don't like that OP's posts. As you said in that thread, "So damn weird." 

Each of us has the opportunity to make posts that encourage more dialogue and add to the conversation, which originally grows on this forum, I never know what I will find, one day to the next, that is what is amazing about his forum, always opportunity to direct things in a positive, informational, educational way, without accusing anyone, we just make an effort, course correct, and proceed. 

For those not in the know, sobriety is a current state for many, until the next drink, while Straight Edge is a commitment to one's self to be sober into the foreseeable future, for various reasons, as diverse as the people who choose this path, in a way 'against the current', in our hedonistic self-destructive, society. If you choose drugs and alcohol, I do not judge, you, I respect your choice, it is just not my path a this time... 

Also Straight Edge and tattoos are joined at the hip usually lol.... they can afford them.

On 10/24/2016 at 5:30 PM, suburbanxcore said:

I had a fair number of snarky replies drafted, but figured I'd bite my tongue. To tie into that "state of the union" thread or whatever, I will say that this is exactly the type of reply that is pushing me away from this board the way I used to. You have three people discussing tattoos/their significance and a topic that apparently in no way involves you, then you feel the need for a passive aggressive comment because you don't like that OP's posts. As you said in that thread, "So damn weird." 

+1
So glad i joined the forum when I did, and met some great people who turned into real life friends. Just popped back in to see what new stuff has been posted and all the drama and bitching/disrespectful comments make me regret it allready.
I'll just stick to lurking latest tattoo lowdown i guess

1 hour ago, Charles.M said:

Each of us has the opportunity to make posts that encourage more dialogue and add to the conversation, which originally grows on this forum, I never know what I will find, one day to the next, that is what is amazing about his forum, always opportunity to direct things in a positive, informational, educational way, without accusing anyone, we just make an effort, course correct, and proceed. 

For those not in the know, sobriety is a current state for many, until the next drink, while Straight Edge is a commitment to one's self to be sober into the foreseeable future, for various reasons, as diverse as the people who choose this path, in a way 'against the current', in our hedonistic self-destructive, society. If you choose drugs and alcohol, I do not judge, you, I respect your choice, it is just not my path a this time... 

Also Straight Edge and tattoos are joined at the hip usually lol.... they can afford them.

I'm asking honestly here. What does "they can afford them" even mean? I don't drink or do drugs, and I'm a professional with a great job. I can afford them, too. What does that have to do with being straight edge?

Grew up in ny in the 80's and had a cousin that was super into New York hard core. He explained to me back then that straight edge skin heads (as they were known back then) were the opposite of nazi skin heads. I took that to mean they weren't racist. He also said they abstained from booze and drugs. A noble course for sure. 

But they were also super into their lifestyle and weren't always nice to those who chose a different path. But still I appreciated them way more than the nazi skin heads. 

Ive met a lot of straight edge folks through the tattoo world. Funny story... I follow a guy on Instagram who happens to be straight edge. I didn't know this at the time. He was always posting pics of himself in front of strip joints. I remember thinking, "wow, this dude really loves strip clubs" until I realized it was the XXX from the strip club that he was really showcasing. The whole "edge is everywhere" bit. I laughed pretty hard cause for the longest time I thought he was just a bit of a perv. Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

As for myself, I am more of a wiggly edge dude. 

Edited by Rob I

So, I used to drink a lot and use tons of drugs. I one heard someone say "my drug of choice was more" and that pretty much sums me up from about 16 to my early 30s. Clean and sober for something like 15 years now but not sure I could call myself straight edge because of my history. I have a few friends who have been dedicated straight edge their whole lives and are in their 40s and 50s now. I think if I call myself straight edge that kinda takes away from what they have done.

They allow all ages into shows in bars down here and many places will mark the under age patrons hands with an X. I was thinking there was a really strong straight edge scene down here until I figured that out.

Thank you for all the replies thus far...

As a matter of respect I will treat this question as genuine, and take this opportunity to respond, this is my first time wise opportunity. I think it is a good practice to provide well thought out responses, so everyone can benefit from our input. 

I am trying harder to provide quality content, which will attract others and grow the forum, by example where possible. 

Most people, in North America have three budget priorities, regardless of their income or job (1) rent (2) food (3) party stuff.  

The reason I write "they can afford them" is because in my own experience, when I partied, I spent a lot of time and energy in the party scene, then.... when I quit Smoking two packs of cigarettes a day, quit drinking alcohol and quite taking recreational drugs, I found two things on my hands.....Time and money. Time I would have spent partying was now available for other pursuits and money earmarked for partying was now available for other things.

I was sober quite a while before finding a group of people who called themselves Straight Edge, (this was before internet, was a thing for me). What I thought was wonderful, was that these people were not only sober, now, but where committed to being sober into the foreseeable future, which allowed them to pursue more meaningful endeavors. Tattooing is part of the culture because it is as permanent as their commitment to themselves. You have to be genuine before you would likely tattoo a huge Straight Edge tattoo onto your body. 

Tying into the tattoo relevance of this post, and your question, the last bar tab I pad off was $6000.00, so instead of spending money partying, I spent it investing into tattoos for me. I was able to fly to Tattoo conventions with pockets of cash and level up my collection pretty quick. Three days three tattoos, on and on. Met lots of great people at these conventions as a collector, it was really worth it for me. 

Being Straight Edge gave me a focus and opened my time and money to get a good tattoo collection, also when you look at straight edge bands and shows they are fully of suited up people, because they can afford to get tattooed and a lot of them.

Despite all the partying I did before I committed to the edge, my edge is real and I have no hesitation to say I am Straight Edge, I have the track record to show my sincerity. I do not think the past matters too much, you cannot change it anyway, what is available is the future and what you can do for yourself. Make positive choices, one after the other and life gets better al round.

My next Tattoo is going to be an Edge related design!

What worked for me may not work for others, but if you want more tattoos, change your budget goals, you do not have to go straight edge, but you can follow the example....a half measure is still going in the right direction. 

Does this answer the question? 

I appreciate the reply. It explains why you think straight edge people can afford tattoos.

As I said, I don't drink, don't take drugs, and I have a great career with a huge company. One doesn't have to be straight edge to afford tattoos, so it seemed an odd generalization, hence my question. Turns out it's a pretty simple explanation. When you don't party, you have more money for tattoos, which is true. We may have found something in common (apart from tattoos, of course).