Tattoo looks cracked and...leaking

marfil98

Hey everyone, I'm kinda worried. My tattoo peeled but immediately after I noticed that it's leaking clear liquid. I don't think it's infected, there's no redness, pain or pus. It's just leaking a completely clear fluid. Anybody else ever get this?

image.jpg

EDIT: Now I'm not sure if it's even leaking or not, the reason being that when I wipe the are it looks exactly the same! And the tissue paper is still dry. I think the skin underneath may just be extremely shiny, moreso than any of my other tattoos was. Weird.

Edited by marfil98

This looks like what happens when you start to peel off/scratch the scabs. The outer border of the skin-flake may be lose, but the inner part is still not ready to come off. If you pull it off (you really shouldnt, ever) you pull some of the skin underneath it with it. The leaking stuff is plasma/ink. This is how you can get faded spots in a tattoo btw.

Clear fluid, also known as lymph, is released during tattoo healing when the interstitial fluid (the fluid which lies in the interstices of all body tissues) is released when healing, it normally contacts then air and crystalizes and creates what we call scabs. Scabs are our bodies natural defence to protect us from infection and to allow our skin to heal itself. When a scab gets pulled off prematurely from an area, it often looks pitted, like yours. 

Tattoos go through several phases and looks when healing, before finally settling on healed,which is at least a month, so do not sweat it until then, at that time re-evaluate (it cannot be changed by a tattooer, by tattooing in the mean time anyway). 

The default answer is ask your tattooer... they are in a position to know your specific circumstances directly and they were there at the time of the application (hopefully) and may have insight as to why, where, how, et cetera, and can help you correct your conduct, when you need it. A tattooers aftercare is part and parcel, with the procedure they tattoo, according to believing you will take care of the tattoo according to their aftercare advice, if they knew you were going to do something else, they would probably tattoo differently, to accommodate for your special circumstance.

your tattooer will know if that spot required more attention than anywhere else because maybe someone jumped and a correction was needed or.... something else happened. The damage also might have happened downstream, as in you bumped into something, or it super dried out in your sleep or scratched it in your sleep...life happens between application and final healing. A tattoo is like a dance between the tattooer the tattooee, if you both do your part the dance ends well, but if either trips, you both look bad. 

considering the above, wait a month then re-evaluate...

Yeah you're right, I'll just leave it alone and quit screwin' with it, though I didn't rip any scabs off, I just rubbed it lightly and it all sloughed off. Luckily I'm leaving for vacation as I write this for a few weeks...hopefully it'll fix itself. Worst case scenario it might need a touch up. Thanks guys, wish me luck I hate flying. :7_sweat_smile:

I'm really not sure why you continue to post asking for advice since you obviously don't ever follow it and do what you want to do anyway. Many experienced people have offered you good advice, you state your intention to follow it and within days post again with something that shows you just ignored the advice. At this point, it almost seems like a game. Why waste people's time?

I hope you have a great vacation and wish you luck with your tattoo journey. But, I'm done responding to your posts.

On 10/15/2016 at 5:41 AM, Devious6 said:

I'm really not sure why you continue to post asking for advice since you obviously don't ever follow it and do what you want to do anyway. Many experienced people have offered you good advice, you state your intention to follow it and within days post again with something that shows you just ignored the advice. At this point, it almost seems like a game. Why waste people's time?

I hope you have a great vacation and wish you luck with your tattoo journey. But, I'm done responding to your posts.

I'm genuinely sorry you feel this way. I know that I can be annoying with all the questions and that it may appear that I don't care about the answers I receive by disregarding them, but the truth is I really do value all responses from you guys, both positive and negative. And the reason I ask so many questions is that nobody else around me either approves of, or gives a shit about tattoos, so it's nice to talk to and learn from people who share my interests. It's just that, I guess I got too caught up in the thrill of getting tattooed. I know this may sound odd but to me collecting tattoos is unlike anything else I've ever done, there's just something special about permanently altering one's own body with art. Again, I'm genuinely sorry if anyone here has been annoyed by me or taken offense to me going against their advice. So much for making a good first impression. I will keep my posts to a minimum from now on. Sorry guys.

Edited by marfil98

Sincere questions are an opportunity for everyone to learn and hopefully grow from the experience. The problem comes, when insincere people waste other people's time with pointless questions, and sincere people spend the time to provide answers at length, to help those who appear to be in need. Your motivation has been called into question (I think you expressed regret for the perception of your conduct) and now, how you respond, from now on, will be the measure of your sincerity. This forum has a lot of great people with loads of insight, so you have an extended tattoo group outside your geography to draw from, just make sure to give back, if you see an opportunity and we all grow together. I think the caution flag was politely thrown in, I hope you appreciate it and act accordingly. Cheers.

• 6 months later...