new to the site!

ac118

welcome bud

well you're obviously in capable hands! nice tattoo! for your other arm I'd suggest going back to the same cat who did your arm. they can make a nice balanced look in terms of length, inner arm cutoff and, foldover onto the chest, background composition. subject could be facing down (opposite to your fish going up). the mythology says the koi fish swims upstream and if he is strong enough to reach the top he transforms into a dragon...symbolic of strength.

can't go wrong with a Dragon !!

...although here at LST you will also here us say "can't go wrong with a Panther!"

cheers

On 2016-10-19 at 5:20 PM, otisc said:

love your koi sleeve. who did it?

On 2016-10-19 at 6:11 PM, Gingerninja said:

Super nice work! Definitely curious to know who did it. Welcome!

Thank you very much guys!! 

i got it done from a guy in nyc named rodrigo melo. found him on instagram and flew down from toronto to get it. dont regret any bit of it.

On 2016-10-19 at 6:27 PM, bongsau said:

welcome bud

well you're obviously in capable hands! nice tattoo! for your other arm I'd suggest going back to the same cat who did your arm. they can make a nice balanced look in terms of length, inner arm cutoff and, foldover onto the chest, background composition. subject could be facing down (opposite to your fish going up). the mythology says the koi fish swims upstream and if he is strong enough to reach the top he transforms into a dragon...symbolic of strength.

can't go wrong with a Dragon !!

...although here at LST you will also here us say "can't go wrong with a Panther!"

cheers

Thanks for the advice!!!

i joined this forum to ask the very specific question of "should i go back to the same guy" haha.

you dont think someone might be able to do a second sleeve and follow the one i already have though? only reason why i ask is because im going to japan in april and it would be really cool to have some stuff done from around the globe.

On 10/20/2016 at 9:31 PM, ac118 said:

you dont think someone might be able to do a second sleeve and follow the one i already have though? only reason why i ask is because im going to japan in april and it would be really cool to have some stuff done from around the globe.

it really depends on the overall look you're going for. for sure someone different could do your other arm. but if you want to ensure pure symmetry and consistency - especially with the way your background was done and folds onto the chest - then stick with the same tattooer.

consider - might be more enjoyable to travel and pick up something small, one-shot tattoo at the very end of your trip instead of a "sleeve" that may take a couple repeat visits. there are impressive Japanese style tattooists all over the world now. and japanese style tattoo can come big scale or small souvenier sized.

Myself, I've been tattooed by 15 different people over the years. My arms have work blended together from 5 different guys (1 of which had to blend his own tattoos from 2003-2007-2015!). It started too with a symmetrical full colour pieces (same size/placement as yours) by 2 different guys. The end result looked balance, it all worked out and I'm happy and have no regrets, but there are some awkward blending spots i'm going to have to deal with in the future. Really they will just be layered over and hidden underneath new tattoos in the coming years. That was always my intent though to experience tattoos made by different people.

good luck!

Edited by bongsau