Hello

llap17

Hey guys, new to the forum obviously. Here seeking advice from people who are more experienced, I actually tried going head first into asking a question into the forum but I was only able to make an introduction topic so I guess I have to do this first... I don't have much to say just a guy with a few tattoos.

EDIT: I still can't click on any other forums except initiation, can you guys point me towards where I can ask my question?

Edited by llap17

Ah, okay! Thanks! So I realize this question will seem ignorant as in why didn't I research these things. I did that but I got too much different information and got confused (and scared), everything from allergic reactions all the way to melanoma. Anyway off to the question;

I have 4 tattoos done and the one my question is about is the newest which is also a cover up. I got it done a little less than 4 months ago. There are a few places that get my attention and are worrying me. Of course I will talk to the tattoo artist himself and maybe a dermatologist but I would also like to see what experienced people would think. The tattoo is done on my left arm between the inner bicep and the forearm. The first place that worries me is right between there, the place where there's a lot of friction going on. Going over the place with my finger the skin feels a little like a scab. I assume this is because of the friction going on there? Again, I have no idea. The place I'm talking about is the dark right between the arms (pictures added). Now the second area which is worrying me is right at the end of the tattoo. It's a rose and the places where there's most ink get raised and itchy randomly. This hasn't happened until recently. The reason I'm getting worried is because this is my 4th tattoo and I have never had this happen before. Everything has been perfect. None of the other tattoos have this and have been done by the same person.

A thing I'm worried about with no basis - did he go too deep (dirty joke here) or too much ink?

Thank you for sparing time reading through this chaos of a question!

20161117_164355.jpg

20161117_164321.jpg

Edited by llap17

hi @llap17 welcome

trying to follow your questions here...first things first, just relax and let your body do its thing to heal. how old are these tattoos? tattoos superficially heal within a month but it may take several months to heal below the surface. tattoos in high mobility areas ie ditch, elbows, hands, ankles, etc will take longer to heal and are more prone to scabbing. 

the first tattoo - i can see the black area is looking a little crusty but it's still healing. if it's been a couple months mr.tattooer probably went a little rough. give it more time time. the remainder of the tattoo looks like he went too shallow IMO from the faded look of the lines and dots on the bottom of the tattoo. maybe its the healing and the photo quality IDK? but can't tell what the tattoo is supposed to be of aside from the inconsistencies.

the second tattoo - if its a coverup, your bud is tattooing thick black over scar tissue. so it will be a little raised. that's ok, again just let it heal. some tattoos you can feel them raise, depending on different variable ie your body response and how the tattoo was made/applied, that's just part of the game and the risk. some people (myself included) will notice tattoos get extra raised depending on weather. everyone's body and skin is different. 

don't worry you're not going to die or lose your arm. just keep getting tattooed. maybe try someone new with a little more finesse in making the tattoo. cheers

Welcome to the forum! Are you using any lotion on the tattoo? I've found that if I put it on too thickly my skin will react by swelling a bit so the tattoo will feel raised. As was already said, we all heal differently and our skin reacts differently to ink, temperature, humidity, etc. Give it some time, talk to your artist and relax.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to return after such time to bother you with my tattoo experience again. I decided to take some time to let it heal after I asked my initial question and I'm about to get another tattoo, but my itchiness and raisiness from the previous ones is yet to stop. I do not loose any lotion and can't find a pattern in the itchiness. It just sometimes happens. There's one particular part that looks very lumpy and I'm just worried about it again so I'm asking for an opinion... I just keep reading these articles about skin cancer and it's making me panic.

Here's a link to a few close ups of the part I'm worried about. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

The lumpiness is normal. Tattoos don't cause cancer (afaik). I know several people that still, after many years get spots that get bumpy at times. Maybe due to humidity or some other environmental factor. My first tattoo did that for a few years after I got it but doesn't anymore.