Placement- mistake or success stories?

Flippa

So I got my second tattoo a month or so back and I really love it. Only thing I wish I'd done differently is consider placement! It's a record, and although it's a perfect circle, I got it on a part of my arm that curves quite a bit, so it always looks like it's either long and thin, or has a flat edge on it depending on how I move my arm. Minor gripe though. Wish I'd gotten it right under the crease of my arm though where it's much flatter. You can see in the first pic here that when I lay my arm down on a surface to flatten the skin it looks like a perfect circle. Anyway do you guys have any cautionary tales about placement decisions for someone who's just getting started? Also I'm thinking about my next piece and want to get this guitar except with wings and blue in the banner. Thinking about the phrase 'simple man' from the Skynyrd song. What do you guys think, will it looks good with wings or too busy? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like the record, it looks fine. I agree with @pidjones - bodies are a difficult surface and sometimes things twist about. I got a guitar tattoo on my shin and when the artist first put the stencil on I thought it looked like there was a weird bend. Fortunately I trusted the artist and now I don't even notice what I was thinking unless I go out of my way to do so.  

Things like records (perfect circles) and guitars (lots of straight and parallel lines) are never going to look perfect on a body. Even the guitar you're referencing looks curved in that pic, even though it's a solid tattoo. It just happens. Sometimes they way we look down at things distorts our view, too. Just work with the artist on placement and trust their judgment. Look at the stencil from a few different angles, in a mirror, from a distance, etc and you'll find the way to distort it the least.