New here, and problem with my new tattoo

Haageen

Hey! Just got my first tattoo so I still dont know how my skin heals after getting inked.

It's been 5 days since i got tattoed and at the third day it started to come these tiny lumps under the tattoo, kinda looks like blisters. Is this normal, and if so, what is it??

image.jpeg

It's always a good idea to consult your artist to check it out in person.  Can you tell us about your care routine? Seems to me that you might be using too much lotion/ointment and having a skin reaction to that. Better pictures would help...but my first point of having the artist check it out still stands.

Welcome to the forum!

I've applied lotion 4-5 times a day. I used something called Bacimycin but I consulted with my tattoo artist and changed to a product called "Tattoo Aftercare". He said the same thing as you, that I put too much ointment on. So now I'm just adding lotion when i see that the tattoo getting dry.

When i woke up this morning I saw that the blisters was starting to peel and dry up. Hopefully it will heal nicely after this.

I'll post a picture when its healed.

20 minutes ago, Haageen said:

I've applied lotion 4-5 times a day. I used something called Bacimycin but I consulted with my tattoo artist and changed to a product called "Tattoo Aftercare". He said the same thing as you, that I put too much ointment on. So now I'm just adding lotion when i see that the tattoo getting dry.

When i woke up this morning I saw that the blisters was starting to peel and dry up. Hopefully it will heal nicely after this.

I'll post a picture when its healed.

try a non "tattoo" product,IMO they are over priced  hyped up crap.

I use  Aveeno Fragrance free,it's so good,a light coat once or twice a day works great,I use it also as an on going forever daily product on my hands and tattoos.

Edited by Dan

I used the same approach as Dan on both my tattoos. For my first tattoo, I over-applied a bit myself and started to see some early signs of blistering in some places - immediately reduced the application making sure I was using just a very light coating after showering in the morning and at night when I went to bed. That solved the problem. And, following that regimen for my second was very successful and easy.

@oboogie, like @Dan, has tremendous experience so you have two options from very knowledgeable people. 

I would recommend staying away from ointments at this point all together. If you're going to put anything on it, get the fragrance free Aveeno as Dan recommended. I used that as well and still do...every day...to moisturize my skin. At this point, though, your skin needs air to heal. So, use just a little and blot off any excess with a fresh paper towel.

Edited by Devious6

1 hour ago, Haageen said:

Okey! I'll check the store/pharmacy for Aveeno first thing tomorrow! :12_slight_smile:

while you're at the pharmacy pickup some soap like I pictured below,

and don't forget to wash it & keep it clean !

from day one after getting a tattoo & every 4 hours for the first 10 days I use an over the counter anti-microbial soap,I wash my hands in warm water first with it then I wash the tattoo under warm water and "scrub" the tattoo with the palm of my hand ,then pat dry it with a clean paper towel and then a light application of aveeno,

also,moderate "scrubbing" with the palm of your hand in the soapy warm water will help remove loose flakes and ink and skin.

be sure and get the fragrance free Aveeno,it has less alcohol in it

.soap.jpg

Edited by Dan