Collecting different styles

RoryQ

To me get what makes you happy! and no matter the style you can always make it flow together. There are always ways of blending and making things come together now matter what style it is. I am currently in that stage right now. Im going to have to transition some different things. My lower right sleeve is all traditional work, and the upper sleeve i will be putting portraits of Johnny Cash, Elvis, and Marilyn Monroe. But whatever artist I have do it (thinking Nikko Hurtato or Mike Devries, love their style and their take on portrait work) I have faith that they can make it blend almost seamlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to be a mish mash girl. I don't have a particular "style" I like necessarily, I like different things in different styles. I've become more interested in things I didn't realize I liked after being exposed to them on the internet. (god help us w/the advent of pinterest) Traditional wasn't really something I felt drawn to, but after seeing different ideas/interpretations on pinterest, and browsing thru pics here, I think you know what, I like some of that stuff, maybe I'll go for a sparrow and/or a rose next time. Some of the stuff I like but just isn't "me". My husband likes black and grey, I like color. Well, I like b&g, but I'm a big/bold colorful girl.

• 5 months later...

if the tattoos themselves are done well it will look great. if they are shit tattoos done by a shitty person- then they will look like shit no matter how similar in style they are. that's how I see it anyway :) I love the idea of having a little bit of everything, showing appreciation for different styles and having them done by artists who are able to execute them well.

Most of my tattoos are made by different artists, and in their different styles. I have a full sleeve from wrist to shoulder in all color, and after getting that done I completely fell in love with color! So all my work is color right now, mainly new school but also a realistic piece and some traditional, but I'm planning a mandala and some other b&g work later on. All my work now tends to be rather impulsive, and sometimes I get tattoos based on drawings that artists has posted that they want to do, and I just let them pick a spot on my body where it fits. I think my left arm might turn into a bit of a clash, with some dot work/mandala at the bottom, b&g further up, and b&g with mainly one or two colors on top. (just got that idea and now I'm obsessed... yep - that needs to happen) Should contrast well with my new school sleeve, and maybe I'll get a design that combines the two in a chest piece.

I'm impressed with full body suits, I could never commit to just one style like that, but it looks badass. I'd love to see more mix'n match of different styles... Make a realistic tattoo out of a traditional design, that sounds like it could be fun :p

I have a mix of oriential/traditional, and it's sort of hard to break away from that. I think those blend together well.

I have appreciation for other types, but it's hard to do other sorts for me and have it make "sense," if that makes sense. It's hard for me to picture photorealistic tattoos blending in, or a B&G piece working well in the midst of things.

It's late and I may be missing your point @Gregor, I've seen a lot of back pieces that incorporate some awesome smaller elements into a cohesive piece. Like a rock of ages designs that also incorporate lady heads or mermaids or sparrows, ships, anchors, etc. Those seem to be great ways to incorporate several subjects, albeit in my example,loosely related to one another into a cohesive back piece. Battle royales seem to be another way especially if you get creative via lady faced snake, chimera or whatever. Just thinking out loud that it might be something workable for you.

That's why I am toying with the back piece versus a couple of big pieces , not sure at all. A back piece is a bold statement though and I love them , but it's a big area that can be filled with a few sweet tattoos

one of the prominent tattoo sayings is "go big or go home." the back is the place to go the biggest! I would bet most artists would advise you to get a big back piece and I tend to trust the artist's opinions. I personally think the full back piece thread is one of the best on here!

but, as it's been stated before on this thread... your tattoos are your own and that's one of the main things that makes it great. do what makes you happy!!

I started out only wanting the work done on me to be strictly Japanese. The beautiful, big, intricate sleeves and suits really appealed to me and at first I didn't understand why people would get multiple small pieces in different styles that really didn't go together and too me looked odd. Over time though I really started to like traditional tattoos and after getting my first two traditional ones on the top of my feet I digress. It was a really great feeling to get something completed in one session and I really could care less that it was different then my other tattoos. I have some open space on my lower right leg that is reserved for some more traditional pieces. Do I care that it is going to be right next to an Oni? Nope, not in the least bit not anymore. Get what you want, where you want.

I am really on the fence about leaning towards a Japanese sleeve like Hospitelli mentioned. After being on this board for like 2 days, I really do think it would be more fun and neat to collect different styles and different artists. When said and done, eclectic sleeves always do seem to come together.

i'm not a fan of seeing a sleeve of japanese traditional and then an american traditional sleeve. just not my thing. i want everything to be cohesive for me, so i'm sticking with one style.

I'm the opposite. My one arm is totally done in American traditional, but I'm pretty committed to doing the other arm in Japanese. My wife, however, has one arm done Japanese and is dead set to another Japanese arm only.

Ive pretty much always got a different bodysuit planned out in my head. They change weekly. I think I just like to think about it because its not at all productive.

Cant really go wrong, unless you get bad tattoos. Seem like theres a lot of people wanting to keep to either color/black and grey, though.

• 5 months later...