Torn between two artists

sesa

Hi guys, I'm currently deciding which artist to go to for a partial tattoo cover up. I've narrowed down my choices to:

https://www.huzzink.com/blog

https://www.facebook.com/DUBAI.TATTOO.PIERCING

The first one is the more famous I guess, and was even featured in CNN for popularizing tattoos in Jordan and in the Muslim community. They now have a shop in Dubai. Because of their reputation, they are also the more expensive choice. Their consultation charge is more than half the price of the actual tattoo from my second choice. But they said it will be deducted from the tattoo cost.

The second one is only on Facebook and doesn't do a lot of marketing, but I'm really impressed with his portfolio. I've attached some of his works. Would be great to hear what you guys think. None of my friends here have tattoos or any interest in tattoos so I can't really ask for their two cents. ?

Cheers!

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

Edited by princessandcats

Part of the answer depends on what style of tattoo you want to end up with. 

The 1st one appears (from the pictures, at least) to end up with darker blacks, so he/she might be getting the ink in where it will stay for a long time - but on the other hand there were a couple of photos there that aren't so good, imho. 

18 minutes ago, SStu said:

Part of the answer depends on what style of tattoo you want to end up with. 

The 1st one appears (from the pictures, at least) to end up with darker blacks, so he/she might be getting the ink in where it will stay for a long time - but on the other hand there were a couple of photos there that aren't so good, imho. 

Thank you. I'm not really knowledgeable on tattoo styles, but I just want to cover my old tattoo with bold red flowers (but only along the bottom so the cat is still peeking from behind). Does that mean the first might not be a good choice, since he works more with darker blacks?

33ACC555-2D29-4021-9530-C26DFA6F36C0-2854-00000462BCF16238_tmp.png

IMG_1218.JPG

First of all, damn, that huzzink site is a horrible mess, so hard to navigate it.

Secondly, none of them are extremely good, in terms of saturation, lines, details etc. Don't want to sound smug, but i think you could do better.

Your starting point should be the tattoo you want: if you want a bold colour flower, you don't pic artists that mostly do black&grey. Look for artists that do tattoos in the style you like and go through their portofolios.

BUT, if i were to pic one, i'd go to Zhdanov from Huzzink, his colours and lines look good, he can do a bold red flower :)

1 hour ago, viezure said:

First of all, damn, that huzzink site is a horrible mess, so hard to navigate it.

Secondly, none of them are extremely good, in terms of saturation, lines, details etc. Don't want to sound smug, but i think you could do better.

Your starting point should be the tattoo you want: if you want a bold colour flower, you don't pic artists that mostly do black&grey. Look for artists that do tattoos in the style you like and go through their portofolios.

BUT, if i were to pic one, i'd go to Zhdanov from Huzzink, his colours and lines look good, he can do a bold red flower :)

Lol yeah their site is awful. ? You're right, I'm still a noob to ink so I need to learn to recognize an artist's style. Unfortunately there aren't really many tattoo artists where I live (Dubai) so there aren't many options.

The second guy does mostly black and grey but did a few colored flowers as well (below). Not sure if they're that good though. In any case, I'll book a consultation with Huzz Ink and hopefully get the Zhdanov guy to work on my coverup. Thanks! ?

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

3 hours ago, Oiocha said:

Cover up with a red flower on that tattoo is going to be a big mess of black in the middle and then red on the outside. Laser the tattoo and just start over if you think its that bad. instead of having two messes on top of each other.

I'm not really planning to cover up the whole thing--but frame the bottom with a few red flowers. I'm quite happy with the cat face, but the lower half is just shoddy work. I don't mind if the black is still showing but I'm hoping a skilled artist can incorporate that black into the design. In any case I'll set up a consultation beforehand, coz I certainly don't want to end up with two messes on my skin like you said.

It will be important that whatever artist you choose has some experience in cover-ups. 

That blue peony picture you just posted has elements about it that would assist in a cover-up (black outlines and more options for shading deeper into the flower). 

Don't be in a hurry. Spend some time on the forum here learning about styles and what makes a good tattoo good. 

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above post, they must have experience with cover-ups, but its also important that they can emulate the style and final results you want. I was in the same dilemma when deciding on who should do my sleeve (it wasn't a cover-up). I was torn between two artists, one who did amazing portraits and the other who excelled in sleeve work but was not as detailed. I decided that I would sacrifice abit of detail in order to have a well put together sleeve, and I couldn't be happier. In short, find out whats important to you the most regarding the final results you want to see and then go with the Artist that you think can make it happen the best!