Sleep and a fresh back piece ?

Tuchaka

I am strongly debating getting a back piece done and my question is ....that night can you sleep on your back ?

the reason I ask is I have neck issues and sleeping on my front with head turned hurts bad after only a few minutes.

so any advice from those who had back pieces done how was your sleep for the first few days after ?

you could use a dermal product like www.saniderm.com and sleep on your back (if it doesn't irritate you to lay on it), and you can shower,wear any clothing,etc,etc,take off the Saniderm or similar product in 5 days and it's pretty much healed.

this is a good deal ,I always get this one http://saniderm.com/product/personal-size-10-2-in-x-2-yd-roll/

how big is the tattoo going to be ?

Edited by Dan

Likely full back, I was just concerned with would sleeping directly on a back piece be too painful do people who get a back piece sleep on their stomach's for a night or two ?

granted we are talking about a huge area so it's going to take awhile

43 minutes ago, Tuchaka said:

Likely full back, I was just concerned with would sleeping directly on a back piece be too painful do people who get a back piece sleep on their stomach's for a night or two ?

granted we are talking about a huge area so it's going to take awhile

I would still try and use a product like Saniderm,have someone apply it for you and you can forget about any issues with healing,really this stuff is great.that way you can sleep on your back,

ya,IMO it's going to be minor irritation to lay on it,but it will be safe for your tattoo and bed sheets to sleep on it.

IMO the irritation of laying on a tattoo is different for all of us just like anything else,

ya I just have one full sleeve and it was not an issue sleeping with the pressure on the fresh tattoo. But I know back pieces are quite challenging in terms of pain. With my neck issues I don't wanna be stuck thinking well now what .........can't sleep on my front or back.....etc.

unfortunatrly I live alone and my dog had no thumbs or knowledge of hygiene *rim shot* but I could probably get some help from a friend.....I will keep that product in mind.

ya for my sleeve I just slept with a fresh bandage and a long sleeve shirt which was glued on the following morning ?

I second the tegaderm/saniderm option. I've had my full back lined and shaded in 2 consecutive days, after first day slept with cling wrap, second day i kept cling wrap on for 4 hours, showered, air dried and got tegaderm on entire back. Kept it on for 6 days and it was basically healed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

'Derm is great and I've had a lot of success with it in the past.

However, since application is an issue, I wouldn't recommend it in this context. I'm 7 sessions deep in my backpiece and haven't had any issues sleeping on the fresh tattoo doing the following:

1) Wash tattoo the before bed after the appt. 

2) Re-wrap using saran wrap and medical tape

3) Wear a loose T-shirt overtop

4) Carefully remove in the morning (soak T-shirt in shower and remove there if your wrap-job didn't hold up and some of the tattoo is sticking to the shirt). 

5) Wash tattoo and go about your day

After the first night I haven't had much issue with a lot of plasma weeping. Sleeping was pretty "normal" after that. Not saying it's "pillow-soft-comfortable", but it's about as normal as can be the first few days post tattoo. Also, with my backpiece the sessions are almost always more heavily biased to one side of my body than the other, so I've gotten away with sleeping on my less tattooed side, pretty comfortably. 

Good luck!

Tegaderm is awesome and have used it on the last 4 of my tattoos. I did not use it on my back piece. I did however sleep on my back and I don't personally think it made any difference. I can't sleep on my stomach and told the tattooer straight up that I was going to sleep on my back.  He didn't think it would be an issue and it never seemed to be. That being said, lay still and try not to move around when sleeping. Easier said than done i guess. 

But if you don't have any adhesive allergies, I can not recommend tegaderm strongly enough. The stuff is a total game changer. 

• 7 months later...

I have my whole back covered in one piece. You could either use Saran Wrap/cling film, or a 'deem product. 

When doing mine mine I simply slept on my front, shirtless for the first week. This was before wrapping of any type was recommended. I am known for babying my tattoos during the healing phase though.

Pain wise, it depends on your threshold for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

My 6 day old back Tattoo I tried to baby. Went thru Saran Wrap at work. Sweating and pretty sure applied to much triple antibiotic, 

3x4 on scabbing. 
can I put tegaderm on 6 days in. 
Pain is n my neck, hips joints ect. Lol old lady. 
laying on one hip. Keeping clean ect. Can I use tegaderm over starting of scabs and or blistering a week in. 
I dint want to get an infection and or scratch those lil pricks off. 
your help much appreciated. 
just got these and I want to cover my tats!  

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Amelia Smith said:

It is generally best to avoid sleeping on a new tattoo for at least the first few days to avoid irritation or damage of design appearance.

However, if you have neck issues it can be difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. But here are a few tips that may help you to find comfortable postilion, instead of sleeping on back:

1. Use a supportive pillow: Make sure your pillow provides enough support for your neck and head, and keep the pillow at a thickness. And it will keep your head and neck in a neutral position.
  2. Use a neck roll: A neck roll can be placed behind the neck to provide extra support and keep the neck in a neutral position.
  3. Use a memory foam pillow: Memory foam pillows mold to the shape of your head and neck, providing optimal support and comfort.

Sleeping on a tattoo doesn’t damage the design. The ink is embedded under THE SKIN.

Edited by Hogrider