Anyone had a tattoo artist decide they were not interested in tattoo'ing your idea ?

Tuchaka

Sorry if I phrased this poorly basically I have a consultation coming up for a tattoo where I  was very politely told after the booking over the phone if the artist in question is interested in doing this project they want a deposit etc.

so basically if the idea doesn't speak to him he isn't doing the tattoo.....I have no problem with this some artists are in such demand that if they took everybody their wait list would be too long. 

So my question is other than being a good client is there anything I can do to increase my odds the artist will say yes ? Has anybody been turned down by an artist for artistic reasons etc. ?

am I asking you guys to read minds and am WAY overthinking this ?

Edited by Tuchaka

6 hours ago, Tuchaka said:

Sorry if I phrased this poorly basically I have a consultation coming up for a tattoo where I  was very politely told after the booking over the phone if the artist in question is interested in doing this project they want a deposit etc.

so basically if the idea doesn't speak to him he isn't doing the tattoo.....I have no problem with this some artists are in such demand that if they took everybody their wait list would be too long. 

So my question is other than being a good client is there anything I can do to increase my odds the artist will say yes ? Has anybody been turned down by an artist for artistic reasons etc. ?

am I asking you guys to read minds and am WAY overthinking this ?

was your idea polar opposite from the respective artists style?

I don't see why this said artist wouldn't want to take on the project. I can't speak to personal experience but anyone who is worth their salt should be pretty upfront about being into it or not. After all you are offering to pay them for a service; that service is what puts food on the table. 

I don't know if the artist you are trying to get work from is a local cat or a "big" but those who are reputable also usually have good work ethic/ customer service. You have to sit with this person for hours so if are to egotistical i wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway,

don't worry about it. if you're open to giving them some freedom to change it up some or do their interpretation then it will be fine...most likely. also, it sounds like it wouldn't be the best experience if the artist is just trudging through something they aren't really into.

and if they aren't into then keep looking or maybe rethink your idea some. i've def had ideas that i decided i wasn't into after a little time.

Yes I have, but it was not to the point of an actual consultation yet. Once was an outright reject. (Good in the long run, he wasn't very personable.)

The rest are because horses are tricky subjects for artists and I just have to find someone who likes drawing them. I ask about it a lot, but you'd be shocked at how many artists are really bummed at their own efforts.

• 3 weeks later...