What if someone stole your tattoo?

Ciel

Hi.

I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with tattoos. 

I've just come across the topic of tattoo stealing from this lovely lady.

How would you feel if someone someone copied your custom made tattoo?

I'm looking to get a custom made tattoo (full back tattoo) over the new year or so. I'm not sure how I'd feel if someone saw a picture of my tattoo online and copied it for their own... The tattoo does mean a lot to me, and it has been something I've thought of for over a decade now.

Okay, I'd probably be a bit angry. :13_upside_down: How would you feel? Would it mean much to you? Just let it slide, or spit venom? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by Ciel

how do you know you were the first one to have a certain design in the first place ? (just saying)

if you do have an original piece of art,and if someone does copy it ?! so that's a compliment then.

like was said,who cares anyway ?

personally I wouldn't be bothered by it,I wouldn't give a shit.

Edited by Dan

I wouldn't really care honestly. Most copies are inferior, so I'd probably have the better tattoo. I lean more towards flash rather than custom pieces these days anyway, so probably a lot of people have "copies" of what I have.

I'd probably be more upset if I was the artist. They have more claim to the original art than the client anyway.

I'd feel a little bit bad for the person with the stolen design tattooed on them, since they likely have a worse version than the original, but that's about it.

Another type of theft in tattooing that I do have a major problem with is when someone uses a photo of another artist's work and claims it as their own. A few days ago Valerie Vargas posted a photo of a backpiece that some instagram-famous "artist" stole from Stewart Robson's portfolio and posted as his own work - extremely lame, since it's basically false advertising. That guy is getting customers who think he's legitimately talented, and it's pretty pathetic. 

There are copiers all over the art world. You can buy a $40 Rembrandt at Bed Bath and Beyond. You can buy a fraudulent one at an auction house for a few million. You can get a painting in his style from a working artist for a few hundred.

The monde tatu includes all kinds of unscrupulous characters who know exactly what con game they're running.