Problems with passing out

Mantis Toboggan

(This is my first post)

So... last Saturday I was supposed to go in for a typical full day session with my guy but 5 minutes into getting tattooed I nearly fainted, went green and had to go home early. Yeah it sucked and I felt really bad all day for not being able to finish the last session on my sleeve and practically ruining my tattooer's workday's worth of money.

The catch is, i've had 5-6 full day sessions where I'm getting tattooed and I've never had this problem before and I'm really scared that it will happen again to me next week and I'll just get sent home again. I normally just "sit like a rock" but this time it was different.

I think the reasons might be because of ; just around 5ish hours sleep the night before, the day prior eating nothing apart from dinner at 10pm, high stress from school, poor general diet from not eating meat and not enough water the days leading up to and on the day.

tldr: I nearly passed out 5 minutes into a session when I normally go for up to 7 hours in a sitting and I'm scared I'm gonna pass out again, help  

28 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

(This is my first post)

So... last Saturday I was supposed to go in for a typical full day session with my guy but 5 minutes into getting tattooed I nearly fainted, went green and had to go home early. Yeah it sucked and I felt really bad all day for not being able to finish the last session on my sleeve and practically ruining my tattooer's workday's worth of money.

The catch is, i've had 5-6 full day sessions where I'm getting tattooed and I've never had this problem before and I'm really scared that it will happen again to me next week and I'll just get sent home again. I normally just "sit like a rock" but this time it was different.

I think the reasons might be because of ; just around 5ish hours sleep the night before, the day prior eating nothing apart from dinner at 10pm, high stress from school, poor general diet from not eating meat and not enough water the days leading up to and on the day.

tldr: I nearly passed out 5 minutes into a session when I normally go for up to 7 hours in a sitting and I'm scared I'm gonna pass out again, help  

yes ! you answered your own question IMO,

sleep good and don't drink alcohol the night before (or the day of),

pre-hydrate the day before and day of and while being tattooed,(water or Gatorade) 

eat a good non greasy healthy meal right before getting tattooed,

bring candy (I bring M&M's and Skittles) to eat during the tattoo(the sugar will keep you from passing out),I also bring a banana,beef jerky, and a few cold bottles of water in a little ice chest(no artist has ever minded me doing this,as a matter of fact they have liked it). 

keeping up body sugars,potassium,and electrolytes will help to keep you from passing out , 

get yourself mentally in a good place.in the days leading up to and during the tattoo.

ask for a few 5 min breaks to stand up ,stretch,and get the kinks out.

this all helps me have a better overall tattoo experience,and the artist will appreciate it too.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

yes ! you answered your own question IMO,

sleep good and don't drink alcohol the night before (or the day of),

pre-hydrate the day before and day of and while being tattooed,(water or Gatorade) 

eat a good non greasy healthy meal right before getting tattooed,

bring candy (I bring M&M's and Skittles) to eat during the tattoo(the sugar will keep you from passing out),I also bring a banana,beef jerky, and a few cold bottles of water in a little ice chest(no artist has ever minded me doing this,as a matter of fact they have liked it). 

keeping up body sugars,potassium,and electrolytes will help to keep you from passing out , 

get yourself mentally in a good place.in the days leading up to and during the tattoo.

ask for a few 5 min breaks to stand up ,stretch,and get the kinks out.

this all helps me have a better overall tattoo experience,and the artist will appreciate it too.

Yeah, I'll make sure I do all of that all week to the max just to guarantee I wont end up like last time 

Sorry to hear you missed your session. :(

Dan is right, you answered your own question.

Let me just stress the importance of also eating the morning OF the tattoo.  I tend to lean towards low blood pressure myself - which can cause one to become light headed and even pass out. One day I went for blood tests and had the whole department baffled.  Three nurses had tried to draw blood and not one drop emerged!  So they called the head nurse to try and she couldn't either.  She asked me if I ate breakfast that morning ... I never do ... she said mmhm ... and ordered that I be laid down with my lower body higher than my upper body  for about 15 minutes to raise my pressuew, and when they tried again they at least were able to draw a half a vial and said that would have to do.  So apparently breakfast really is the most important meal of the day! lol ... don't miss it! :D

Edited by littlefox1970

I practically eat as a vegetarian because my girlfriend is a strict veggie... if you're a lazy cook just get a big crap load of mushies beans and eggs on toast down you the morning of the tattoo and drink loads of water the day before while not getting completely hammered... should do the trick. 5 hrs sleep shouldn't kill you!