A Little Advice Before I Approach Artists

Freddie

Good Morning Everyone!
Now I can't imagine the following design is going to be super popular on here, but you all have a lot of knowledge and experience, so I'm hoping I can tap into that a little bit!
OK, so I've wanted a tattoo for a very long time and now I'm finally in a position where I can make it happen. I stumbled across the following image online and loved it immediately, I like the chaotic design, the fact it's a panther holds meaning to me and Its not something I've personally come across before.
But this rings alarm bells to me, is there an obvious reason I'm missing that this sort of image/style is not more popular? Will it all bleed together into a big mess or the image just wont work on skin?
The first image is the original I found, and the second is just one I chucked a filter over and turned the clarity up, I was thinking over time perhaps if i got a tattoo closer to the second picture I could expect it to spread and end up looking more like the first picture, so i'll never be unhappy with it. Opinions on this would be appreciated.
Anyway here you go, go easy on me please!

Nice-Grey-And-Black-Panther-Head-Tattoo-Design.jpg

Nice-Grey-And-Black-Panther-Head-Tattoo-Design (2).jpg

6 minutes ago, SStu said:

Art is certainly subjective, and we all have our personal style favorites - but that is just a doodle. 

Haha thanks man, I wish i could doodle like that though :D
I get what you're saying, which is why I'm open to changes, I like the angle of it, the aggressiveness of the head, the chaos in the lines making up a shape but its not everyone's cup of tea. I'm just not a fan of the traditional style panther tattoo's, I appreciate they can look awesome on others but its not right for me.
Any thoughts on changes? Perhaps less lines and some shading? I'm really not an artist so im open to ideas

1 minute ago, AverageJer said:

Bring this image to a good shop and tell them that you like it but you also want to make sure you get a tattoo that works as a tattoo and then show us the cool tattoo you end up with. 

OK thanks man, as long as i'm not laughed out the shop for taking in something so stupid i'll be happy haha

Have you decided on an artist to do it yet? I know it's not exactly like the sketch you posted, but maybe you could look into some of that "dark"-ish stuff that guys like fx. Ien Levin (Kiev) and Rob Borbas (Budapest) does..?

I guess there's a ton of people doing that style around the world, those were just the two that crossed my mind, since you're located in Kiev right now..

Edited by Emil

I think the image looks interesting and depending on the style and tattoo it could look great!  Ultimately, compare a lot of artists work, then go with one who has done something in a style that resembles what you are going for. Show them the picture, explain what visually you like most about the image and see if they can replicate it. In my recent case, the artist told me my image wouldn't translate well as a tattoo. He drew up something pretty different but it looked really good so I got it. 

Thanks again all who took the time to respond!

Update - Sent the drawings to an artist I found who is experienced and has work I like
https://www.facebook.com/pg/B0NE.H0USE/photos/
Opinions welcomed

I told him what I liked about the image and the size/placement and he told me he liked the image as it was and didn't want to change it, and said the placement was good. 

But you guys have got me thinking it needs to be changed so now I'm confused haha
Originally I liked it and still do, so I'm thinking about just going for it, I don't want to constantly second guess myself and just end up with nothing, I think whatever image I end up with it will go on me with a F*** it attitude just to give me the balls to go for it!

I kinda like the original...but I would be concerned that the fine lines will blur out and run together over the years as the tattoo ages and become a dark blob. I guess it's all about the execution of the work. Looking at the FB page, they have some nice intricate black & gray pieces so the experience and talent is there. In the end, it is your piece, your body and only you have to be happy with it. But, personally, I would want more detail.

21 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Update - Sent the drawings to an artist I found who is experienced and has work I like
Opinions welcomed

I told him what I liked about the image and the size/placement and he told me he liked the image as it was and didn't want to change it, and said the placement was good. 

But you guys have got me thinking it needs to be changed so now I'm confused haha
Originally I liked it and still do, so I'm thinking about just going for it, I don't want to constantly second guess myself and just end up with nothing, I think whatever image I end up with it will go on me with a F*** it attitude just to give me the balls to go for it!

Seems like you found a good artist so I would trust them if I were you. Ultimately, trusting the artist is a big part of getting a tattoo and really- at some point it's your only choice. Have fun and post the picture. 

Thank you for taking the time to look at his work, its the reason I contacted him as I thought he has experience with this sort of style, as for the blurring, im having it here-
So I'm hoping the size will spread the lines out a bit, but I guess im leaving it in his hands as its his proffesion not mine and hoping he does a good job!

Untitled.png

21 hours ago, Freddie said:

Opinions welcomed

Take a closer look at his work. IMHO there is very little black/grey contrast, it's very monotone, and some of it is so dense it's hard to read. I think that is what would happen to your drawing if this guy does it. You need some negative space to provide contrast, otherwise it will look like a big blob of ink from 10 feet away.

2 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Take a closer look at his work. IMHO there is very little black/grey contrast, it's very monotone, and some of it is so dense it's hard to read. I think that is what would happen to your drawing if this guy does it. You need some negative space to provide contrast, otherwise it will look like a big blob of ink from 10 feet away.

This is true, I'm not too worried about the monotone as the image I want is all black lines, and as I'm making the image larger across my chest I think this will create more negative space between the lines, however I will mention the overcrowding of lines and the possibility of it bleeding out into a big blob to him when I meet him in person tomorrow.

Any other pearls of wisdom I should ask him about would be warmly welcomed!

Met with my artist today, really cool guy. Asked about the detailed fine lines and he showed me some photos of work hes done several years ago, and what they look like now they've healed and they've held up really well so I trust him to do a good job!

Booked in for the 10th May, pictures to come! Going to use Saniderm after reading about it on here so will let you know how that works out aswell.

1 hour ago, gtrjunior said:

I had a dream a few nights ago and in the dream I saw somebody with you're tattoo on their upper back. Lol.
In the dream it looked awesome!!

That is super weird but awesome at the same time haha thanks man, I hope it will look even better in real life I'm stoked! :D

• 2 months later...

Hey, I saw your finished tattoo in the other thread, and good on you for designing it and going through with the entire tattoo!  Don't worry about the naysayers.  It's yours to stay (of course), and it's definitely a lot better than some of those crappy flash designs that I've seen.  How has it healed?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man, it's always nice to hear that, it's not for everyone but I didn't get it to please anyone else but me :D

I'm travelling Vietnam right now and get a lot of nice comments from people when I hit the beach so that's nice, locals here are big on tattoos!

I think it's healed really nicely, the saniderm is the mutts nuts and worked really well for me, it's only been 2 and a bit months but it's settled down really well and I'm still happy, I'll get a photo of it later :D

Thanks man, it's always nice to hear that, it's not for everyone but I didn't get it to please anyone else but me :D
I'm travelling Vietnam right now and get a lot of nice comments from people when I hit the beach so that's nice, locals here are big on tattoos!
I think it's healed really nicely, the saniderm is the mutts nuts and worked really well for me, it's only been 2 and a bit months but it's settled down really well and I'm still happy, I'll get a photo of it later :D

That's so great that you love it, I know it was a complicated design, so glad your artist was able to do it well for you!

Planning your next one yet? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk