Got my first tattoo last month

pfj99

Hi all.  I'm Patti.  For at least 20 years I've wanted a tattoo.  Between worrying about the pain and not knowing how to find a good artist, I never got any ink.  A couple of months ago I met a guy who had two awesome colorful sleeves.  I asked him who and where his artist was, and he gave me her name and the LOCAL shop where she works.  

I sent her an email telling her my idea and asking if she'd be willing to consult with me.  I figured if i never heard from her, it would mean the universe was telling me I wasn't supposed to get a tattoo.  Surprisingly, she contacted me and we set up a consultation appointment.  Once I got the nerve to walk into a tattoo shop for the very first time, we had a good discussion and agreed on a design and placement.  I knew she typically had a 5 or 6 month wait list, so I knew I had several months to work up my nerve.  But, she had had a cancellation for a slot THE FOLLOWING WEEK!  I probably turned pale, but I decided to put on my big girl panties and accept the appointment.

Getting my first tattoo was the best thing I've done in years!  I sat for 2 1/2 hours.  The pain was a lot less than I expected.  I did say "Ow" inside my head a couple of times, but I stayed perfectly still.  

I love my first tattoo, and I got the first part of my second tattoo two days ago.  The first tattoo represents a panda that I took care of on a volunteer trip to China.  He actually sat cross-legged when he ate so that he could recover any crumbs that fell on his lap.

IMG_0159.JPG

Thanks for the welcome, Dan.

Yes, I'm a believer in the addiction phenomenon.  I've already booked 3 more appointments for later this year.  I'm working on a sleeve to include additional animals I've volunteered  with.  My second tattoo is a Suri alpaca I worked with in Peru.

It's good for my budget that my artist is in high demand.  And I'm finding that I enjoy the process, not just the finished art.

I love your Joaquin Phoenix quote.

Hey welcome! That tattoo looks great!

"Ink" is one of those slang terms that is widely used to describe tattoos... outside the industry. You see it used on TV a lot, and by people who are tattoo novices (not shaming!) but it isn't used that much in actual tattooing circles, except as kind of a joke.

I really like your panda. Who's the artist?