Newbie with questions about camping w/ a new tattoo and need some advice on using Saniderm!

Sunshine32

Hi All-

I'm getting my first tattoo on my calf on May 23rd and I have some questions! I'm going camping the following weekend (tattooed on Tuesday, leaving Friday) for Memorial Day and do not plan on swimming and submerging it at all but would like to be able to paddle my kayak around, etc so may get some splashes here in there.

First, I did ask my tattoo artist right off the bat and he said that it would be fine to do that Saturday or later and that it would be healed enough by then to be okay as long as I apply a lot of aquaphor before hand and wash it thoroughly afterwards. I know he is the professional and all but it just seems awful soon... that will only be 4 days. Everything else I've read says to wait at least two weeks to go "swimming".. especially in a lake or river.

So I was doing some research and found Saniderm. It seems like the perfect product for a situation like mine. Does anyone have experience using it? I mentioned it to my artist and he said he couldn't personally recommend it as he's never used anything like it.The more I look into Saniderm the more I'd like to try complete healing with that instead of traditional methods? Any experience or advice?

I'm getting some mixed instructions on the Saniderm as some people are saying leaving the first piece on 2 days, then the 2nd piece up to 5 days. That would be perfect for me as it would be covered the entire camping trip. But then some people are saying to only leave the saniderm on for 3 days and then switch to traditional aftercare. That wouldn't work as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about you, but when I go camping my intention is to get as rough and dirty as possible. I'm covered in dirt and ash the entire time. Not sure how you camp (i.e. tent in the bush, RV, public campground w/ amenities). As long as you've got supplies to keep the tattoo clean and keep it covered you're likely fine. I'd be more worried about jumping in a swimming pool (chlorine and kid pee) over jumping in a fresh lake. The important thing will be protecting the tattoo from dirt and scratches in the bush. Good luck.

41 minutes ago, bongsau said:

I don't know about you, but when I go camping my intention is to get as rough and dirty as possible. I'm covered in dirt and ash the entire time. Not sure how you camp (i.e. tent in the bush, RV, public campground w/ amenities). As long as you've got supplies to keep the tattoo clean and keep it covered you're likely fine. I'd be more worried about jumping in a swimming pool (chlorine and kid pee) over jumping in a fresh lake. The important thing will be protecting the tattoo from dirt and scratches in the bush. Good luck.

Haha sorry! I guess I should have specified that part. We live in the rural midwest and just got a camper this year so our camping is more like "glamping". The intention being to relax, have fun, and potentially drink as much as possible haha.

We have a sink and shower in the camper so keeping it clean won't be an issue. And I was hoping to leave Saniderm on the whole camping trip to keep it protected from dirt, sun, lake water, etc. I plan on wearing pants the entire weekend too so it won't be in the sun. 

Edited by Sunshine32