Thoughts on color choices

gtrjunior

I'm in the middle of a half sleeve cover-up tattoo of some music notes on my shoulder that I got about 20 years ago. The cover up is a bio-mech theme tattoo. You can see the notes In the pic but lower, near the elbow, the artist put a large black spot that isn't part of the cover up. TBH, to me is sticks out like a sore thumb. Partly because there isn't any colors next to it. Right now the tattoo is only outline and shading. My next session is in a week and we will be adding color this time. I'm a bit self conscious about the large black spot. Am I over-reacting? The tattoo is quite large and in context it may not be as big a spot as I think it is but I can't help looking directly at it every time I get out of the shower and look in the mirror.

I guess my question is:

Do we think that once some color and depth is in the tattoo it could possibly minimize the "largeness" of the spot?

And also what colors might help to draw the eye away?4260833390694d6e0bdf235d5cfae2f4.jpg

I'm familiar with the complimentary color wheel but usually that means putting a lighter color next to a darker so something pops in he tattoo. I'd like to do the opposite.....maybe some purples or blues etc....

Thoughts??

Thanks

Here are some other angles too:

18b4624b26d721f165e15a53e151f21e.jpgcff7dba8be8b02a5ff2dd3c2ccb22d35.jpg8ac8d555216fc569bc568faf87011336.jpg94bb55da13d814ef4602fad04c711a4c.jpgc95cc353743e8ef0dc43b0702e93cf0c.jpg

Welcome to the forum! There are many more experienced folks her - and I know some will chime in - but I think it's too early to really tell since we don't know what your artist intends to do with the rest of the work. I would, definitely, communicate your concerns to the artist and ask him how he/she plans to proceed before your next appointment begins. Be satisfied that he understands your concerns and that the final piece will address them.

I texted a bit with my artist and we kinda have a basis to begin with. The "horns" (for lack of a better word) will hopefully take on a stainless steel type look with reflections of the surrounding colors. I'd like to go with a blue/ purple type scheme on those surrounding colors. Also figured on using some complimentary colors form the color wheel to act sort of as a background glow to the blues/purples scheme....

Next session is Saturday. I'm anxious and excited to get started!!