First tattoo - watercolor?

Mistressmunin

Let me start off by saying... hello! :) 

So, I joined this forum mainly to ask for some advice on getting my first tattoo. I've known I wanted one for years now, but it was just recently that I ran across an artist whose work just made me stop in my tracks and think, "yup, that's the one." I set up a consultation with her almost a month ago and gave her some photographs to build her design off of... I asked for a mostly black raven with a medium amount of detail and only a little color. I just went in to look at it today, and I absolutely am in love with it - the thing is, it's definitely more of a watercolor type tattoo. I've heard that they fade fast and that worries me a bit. Is anybody familiar with them? The design is just breathtaking, but do you think it's worth it? Or will it drastically fade/lose detail within a few years?

Thanks! 

Edited by Mistressmunin
I was tired when I wrote it and it sounded like anxiety stew.

An all or mostly black watercolor tattoo would be a new item to me. "Watercolor tattoos" don't necessarily fade any faster than more traditional styles. The broader discussion about how they will wear over time is the "issue", and has mostly centered around how over time all tattoo ink spreads or "bleeds" in the skin over time - and how the lack of a black outline may result in that eventual spreading making a watercolor styled piece become indiscernable. 

This is discussion is mute if the "artist" isn't capable of or just doesn't get the ink where it belongs, in which case it's going to fade anyway. 

I'd sure like to see an example of what you're describing. Can you post a link to the artist's work, or do you have a picture of her drawing for you?

Edited by SStu

Ditto SStu, his reply hit most of the info I found when I was researching the style. I may still get something in the watercolor or a hybrid style, if I do it'll be an artist who can show me pics of their tattoos after being worn for 2-3yrs that still look good. Instagram is a great place to start looking for that. A good artist will be proud to show how their work has held up over time (keeping in mind the wearer needs to keep up with the basics on their end like moisturizer and sunscreen)

Edited to add link:

https://authoritytattoo.com/watercolor-tattoos/

Thanks for the response, guys. What I meant was that I asked for a mostly black tattoo, but she ended up showing me more of a watercolor type - but I do love it. I feel like it has a lot more character to it because she created it using her natural style rather than forcing it to look more like what I showed her. I was hesitant to attach a pic at first, because she seemed to hesitate when I asked if I could take a pic, but I guess since it'll be on my skin eventually, she probably won't mind. She's an artist at Nevermore in NWA and I'm super excited to have her work on me. She seems great! 

20170519_163119.jpg

Edited by Mistressmunin
Cropped photo

The design may show some character (your words) and is artistic...but it has a very loose shape and no details to give it the longevity as a tattoo my opinion. All tattoos are going to fade. But tattoos made with a solid outline are still going to hold their shape and contrast on the skin once the colours start washing out.

There is ample discussion on LST and the internetz about the merits of watercolour design in tattooing and everyone has an opinion.  At the end of the day though...if you love the design, go for it! That's what it's all about.