DEATH

The Burning Question.

Death's been on my mind a bit lately, due to the recent passing of a good family friend, uncle, Ninong (Godfather, in Tagalog). But it's always near to the front of my mind, and not in a morbid sense. I think this has a lot to do with getting involved with tattooing. Skulls are all around us and I happen to have four on my body, including my back piece. And even aside from skulls, I have various other tattoos that are reminders of the transience of this life. Of course, the thought of death is a reminder to enjoy the short life that we have on this earth.

At the age of 34, I've already started a list for my wife of shit to sell if I die and songs to play at my wake/viewing. I was also joking with my buddies about wearing Golden State Warriors gear in the casket, but probably not coz they'll likely suck again by the time I pass (fingers crossed i live that long). Then I joked about being buried shirtless so folks can finally stare at my tattoos without being too intrusive. This might be good inspiration to get my torso done, lest I get buried face down so folks can peep the back piece. Is that bad luck or something? Facing hell, if you believe in such things? I really don't even know if I'm planning to get buried or cremated and if there's a viewing prior to cremation. I guess I have more death thinking to do.

Before starting this thread, I checked to see if a prior one existed and, to my surprise, i couldn't find one! When I searched, there were many tattoos related to death, but no dedicated thread. So here we are.

I'll start with my the tattoo on my wrist from Jondix's 108 Marks book that means "death is an illusion" paired with my current favorite song track off my aforementioned Death Spotify playlist, "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.

I'm hoping this thread becomes an interesting one.

IMG_3337.2.jpg

I got this flaming owl tattoo from Jon Gray in 2013. It was a piece of his flash that I liked and he was doing a guest spot in town. After I booked in a time to get this owl, I found out someone very close and influential in my life was dying and then he passed away. I was the pall bearer at his funeral a few days before receiving this tattoo. It was simply unique owl tattoo flash that I liked. I then discovered the owl can be a symbolic messenger of death...the whole thing then took on a new meaning in light of what was going on in my life. It is by no means a memorial tattoo, just an eerie coincidence and a reminder that everything (life) is temporary.

I guess a lot of my tattoos are about death - in the sense that they are markings symbolizing and a creating a personal rebirth of sorts.

IMG_2206.JPG

i was a pall bearer for the first time a few years back for my 98 y/o grandmother figure. carrying that tiny woman was a pretty heavy load to bear, but it was huge honor.

around the same timeframe, there was a typhoon big enough in the Philippines that is started a Tattoo for the Philippines movement where the proceeds of the tattoo would be donated to support the efforts there.

"The inspiration for the tattoo design comes from an artifact known as the Manunggul Jar. The artifact was discovered in a burial site Manunggal Cave in Lipuun Point, Quezon, Palawan. It was chosen as the inspiration for the design because the figures represent guides taking the deceased to the next life, in essence guiding the souls of those who died. The artist's interpretation of the design is in the style of a petroglyph. This style was chosen as a nod to the indigenous cultures of the Philippines."

i decided i could double up by supporting the Philippines and also have a reminder of my Nanay.

check out the jar! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manunggul_Jar

IMG_20140104_201814548.jpg

If I was a cat, I'd be down to 1 life left..at best. In fact, I may be ahead of the game. In just my 26 years in the Army, I had an 8" artillery shell detonate over my head and was hit with shrapnel but without injury, I've ridden 2 helicopters to the ground with engine failures...one hard enough to compress the skids...and walked away and was in the area of the Pentagon hit by the plane on 9/11 and twice escaped (at least) from circumstances where I could have not made it out. My uniform is part of the Smithsonian exhibition form that day....I stared Death down and smiled back.

My second tattoo is attribute to the 9/11 experiences. Not focused on death but on the determination to live and to face the threat head on. That's why I chose an eagle standing on a pentagonal shaped rock with sun rays shining overhead. Death doesn't scare me nor does it control my actions. When it comes it comes...and I am ready to face the life after.

5928c3a3d9204_September242016Dual.thumb.jpg.e36118942a1d0c7094422e41d7f37c1d.jpg

I like this topic man. I don't see myself as an overly morbid creature, but I'm probably more interested in the occult than the average person is. This has alot to do with the music I listen to, I admit (metal, and black metal especially). But I'm also a devoted atheist - I believe organized religion is the root of all evil in this world. So I really wanna get a tattoo inspired by the occult, but I'm afraid that may be crossing a line or whatever. I mean, the Baphomet on your upper arm or a burning cross on your leg, people are bound to brand you a lunatic. 

I'm getting my forearm done soon, and it will be a portrait of one of the old godesses in norse religion. I did consider Hel, the queen of the underworld, but maybe that too is a bit too much on the dark side? 

On 5/26/2017 at 6:03 PM, thyes said:

So I really wanna get a tattoo inspired by the occult, but I'm afraid that may be crossing a line or whatever. I mean, the Baphomet on your upper arm or a burning cross on your leg, people are bound to brand you a lunatic. 

I'm getting my forearm done soon, and it will be a portrait of one of the old godesses in norse religion. I did consider Hel, the queen of the underworld, but maybe that too is a bit too much on the dark side? 

it's up to you. get what you like and are comfortable to wear... knowing that it might spark a strange look or a conversation/explanation.

On 31.5.2017 at 10:57 PM, scottyg said:

Just don't get a burning cross....

Hehe no, I woulnd't go that far :P 

@bongsau I'd get an upside down cross or a pentagram any day of the week rather than a traditional cross :10_wink:But hey, that's just my personal standing, I have nothing against what people decorate themselves with or believe - as long as they don't knock on my door and try to forcefeed their beliefs on me!

Well yeah ofcourse it is - it's really two sides of the same coin if you break it down, I suppose :) It's the same as the upside down cross, it's not a satanic cross. A quick google search will show you just how different the real satanic cross is. What's funny is that most "satanists" don't really, truly believe in a horned god, the devil or Lucifer. They are just atheists who oppose organized religion and believe that people should be able to think for themselves and not blindly follow. 'Satan' actually means the adversary. 

• 3 weeks later...

I teach wildlife ID classes, and I have a lot of dead animals around the house. I display a horse skull, which is so beloved that I also have it in tattoo form.

I was diagnosed with a chronic illness in my 30s, and my whole attitude about life and death was deeply changed. I started getting tattoos, saying yes to experiences as they unfold, and saving a little less for retirement.

The only thing I  know for sure about my own passing is that I do not want freaking PANTS!