Intro, soon to be dad never gotten a tattoo and need any guidance I can get

Dyabolical

As the title says, I have never gotten a tattoo before.  I have never been against them, I just never personally had something that meant enough to me to permanently put on my body.  Well I am 32 years old and about to have A baby girl in 2 weeks and the pregnancy for my wife has been very complicated and life changing and I think I finally found that thing that means enough for me to have on me forever.  However, having never done this before I am a lot of things: lost, scared of choosing the wrong artist or design, having it turn out bad.  The biggest thing for me though is that I am completely inept when it comes to art/design etc.  I don't know exactly what I want and I am not talented enough to create options.  I have googled quite a bit and have seen some cool designs but am not able to make them my own.

Here are some details and things I have thought of.

Her name will be Summer Nicole, initials will be SNK

I am think of doing it on the inside of my left arm so that it is more inconspicuous and also close to my heart

Do I do initials, first name or first and middle name?

I have also thought of including the date of birth 

Should I just keep it simple with her name or add something to it like a border, flower that would make it pop a little more

i know all of this is entirely personal preference, I was just hoping to lean on the experience and expertise of those who live and breath this every day.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

If by chance you are bored and quickly able to give me some ideas or quick sketch thoughts it would mean the world to me.

I apologize for the long post and probably being the epitome of the very annoying "noob" for most of you artists but I am just hoping for anything that can help me.

Edited by Dyabolical
Spellbg

Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on your impending child! I have a good friend who went through a very difficult pregnancy so I can understand the emotions you are feeling. The vast majority of the folks here are collectors, not artists so I wouldn't expect any drawings or renderings, just advice and ideas.

At 32, you are far from late on getting your first tattoo. I was 60 (weeks from being 61) and 61 for my second. We all get our first for different reasons so the timing is truly a personal thing.

The symbolism of initials, or a name, with a date generally refers to commemoration of a death. Of course, because it is a very personal thing, yours can be whatever you want it to be.

Personally, I'd add some other art component. A rose or something else that has meaning to you...maybe something that invokes Summer in your mind as a seasonal reference to her name.

Understanding that this is permanent, I'd suggest you not rush into it. You are obviously excited and anxious because of the difficulty and importance of the pregnancy. Impulse can lead to regret...so take your time. Search your area for good artists (people here can make recommendations if you indicate where you live), check out their portfolios. Search Instagram and Google - and here in the pictures - for ideas. When you have some ideas in mind - and they don't have to be specific - and have an artist in mind, go sit with him/her and discuss your intent and the types of tattoos that you've seen that capture what you want. Even if you ultimately just decide on letters alone a good artist will help you decide on font, size, placement, etc.

Good luck both with the birth and the selection of your tattoo! I look forward to seeing the results...of both!!

Good luck all around - tattoo and child. Personally I think a rose or heart or - almost anything- with a three initial banner would be a pretty sweet tattoo for you given your desire to honor your child. I might be biased though because I have a rose with a banner that has my daughters name- or at least the three letter version. 

My best advice is to not over think this. Research reputable shops near you and then go there and tell them what you want and then let them design it so it will work as a tattoo. There is a non comprehensive list of tattoo shops somewhere on this site. You could look there if you are unsure how to find  a reputable shop. Where are you located?

22 minutes ago, Dyabolical said:

Thank you both so much!  I am sure I am overthinking a lot of it, I have a habit of doing that and coming up with ideas for this is a way to get me away from all of the worry about the pregnancy.  I live in the Minneapolis area so I am sure there are some decent shops around, I will just have to my research.

This is easy in Minneapolis. Go to Leviticus on Lake Street. Excellent artists doing walk ins every Saturday or go in and tell someone at the desk your idea and they will help you choose an artist. Again, I am biased because I also live in Minneapolis and Leviticus is not just my favorite tattoo shop- it's one my my very favorite business in town period. Hell, now I'm jealous. There are plenty of other great tattoo shops in town so my feelings won't be hurt if your research leads you elsewhere but save yourself the trouble and go to Leviticus.