Worried about translation quality

Theoldguy

I have 2 tats that I've had designed.  The one on the right is more complicated and I'm worried how it will translate.  Will it be able to be tatted like it looks?  He also changed the skull to an eagle.  It might be better.  Thoughts?

20170609_210112.jpg

Screenshot_20170609-234526.jpg

Assuming you want on the bicep? IMO both of the ones with white background are too complicated to do well. Just from a general design perspective they look cluttered and are difficult to see the design. The one on the arm is better suited for a tattoo design, I'll let more experienced people weigh in on how hard to pull it off would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your answer depends on the tattooist. If you're expecting just some tattooist to exactly reproduce an on-line image you've brought in  - you're heading in the wrong direction. Only a high quality tattooist is going to be able to pull that off, and that is where your search should begin. 

Changes to make the white background options better from a design perspective: simplify. Take out any extra elements, don't have so much overlap in your elements (for example, you've got places where there's a paint smudge, flag, skull and lettering together. Lights and darks need to be more pronounced (for example the black letters on red stripes are going to be hard to read, especially when they're blurry like the greek(?) or interspersed with white letters/white stripes. I don't care who your artist is, that many layers of transparency is tough for my printer to deal with much less your artist to reproduce. If you're sold on all those elements, take out the paint streaks and flag streaks. If you want the flag, add in like the other pic where it's separate. And make the lettering more cohesive. If you want paint smudges around the edge, let the artist add them in where it will best suit your design and body shape.

The arm design has the simplicity I'm talking about, one central element with readable text, and assorted design bits for emphasis surrounding the central element. I'm not a huge fan of the trash polka style, but I can see the design which makes it better designed.

Your skin, your choice, but you run a real risk of needing to cover with a black panther in a year or two if it doesn't work.

(Sorry for the run-on! I'm relatively new to the world of tattoos but have been doing graphic design for years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Theoldguy said:

He didn't design it.  But thanks for assuming.  He just said it might get lost in translation.  So I was seeking thoughts and what not.  Wasn't looking to harvest asshole opinions.  So since you can't be constructive, move on.  

You might be in the wrong place. Hahaha. These designs are not particularly good, and your "top tattooer" isn't so top if he is going to tattoo this shit on you.

I'll be honest, I hate trash polka. I don't think they work as tattoos and I think they're just not aesthetically pleasing. But this is a rough one even for that style. It's a mess, dude. Go to someone really experienced with the style (not your "best in the biz" guy, I have a feeling) and let him have some freedom to create an original image that'll work as a tattoo. You're going to have to be prepared to let some elements go for it to work, maybe get rid of the helmet or wing or some of the lettering, it's just too much to ever turn out readable on the skin. This thing is going to be fucked from the minute it's applied, imagine how it's going to age and how all this ink is going to spread with time. You're always better off going bold and simple with designs, imo.

This site is cracking me up.  The tat has the elements that I requested the designer to use.  The artist that I was going to use is a top artist.  Never said the best.  I said one ot the best.  He was on Ink Master and Im not going to throw his name around without his approval.  Its called ethics.  Learn it.   The entire purpose of this post if you care, was to try and get an idea if there was anything that could be done that wouldn't really change the layout of the tat but maybe help the overall look to help it stand out.  Since there seems to only be a bunch of people with non-professional opinions that are more concerned with a name of an artist instead of what the original post is about, Im going to delete the damn thing.  Keep stroking those egos guys and maybe it will get you somewhere, but I doubt it.

True story, a very good artist will take care of you. You are probably paying thousands for that much coverage from a top tier guy, and he knows what he's doing. Trust him. It is, like, his job.

It is totally normal to say who you are excited to have a appointment with, and who has done your work. That word of mouth advertisement is their most powerful marketing. Some top guys don't even use Instagram. They are just known.

I don't know if the color change in the text will show up, and you don't need all three slogans. You could really make the point with no text - you have powerful images already. That is what I'd edit, because it will get lost first.

Hey there, welcome.

My two cents: take the concept to your artist and let them figure out how to execute it. You will most likely be given feedback on what will work and what won't. You'll need to figure out what in the design is most important to you which will help drive the final design. Let the artist work out the concept using their style which in the end should result in a cool piece. Good luck!

Here's a pro tip for the road. Don't use "tattoo design" websites to design tattoos. Use the person's hard-won skills and artistic talents, since you're paying them anyway. Otherwise you might as well tape a printout to your arm. 

Another pro tip: if you ask for advice, don't attack the people who give it. That's more of a life lesson.