Argan oil on tattoo?

Mistressmunin

I was going to post this in 'aftercare', but for some reason the site wouldn't allow me to, even though I've already posted in 'initiation' previously. So, apologies for the placement :)

I was wondering if anyone has had success using Argan oil in place of unscented lotion? I believe the lotion is clogging my pores, even though I've been very careful about how much I apply. I've tried both tattoo-goo lotion (not the wax), which worked well for the whole second week, and Equate unscented. At the first small bump, I switched from the goo to Equate and cut back... but then even more little pimples cropped up, so I've stopped moisturizing altogether and have just been washing it (once a day or as needed). It's looking a little dry, so I was thinking about giving it one more day to breathe, and then using a tad of argan oil, which is very light and is not supposed to clog pores (I use it on my face and it's amazing). I was wondering if y'all think that's a good idea, or if it'd be better to just leave it dry? I'm assuming at this point my tattoo is going to be pretty much okay, either way, but it is my first, so I thought I'd double-check here just to be safe.

Anyway, thanks! 

It sounds like you've had this tattoo for at least 3 weeks now. It's past the stage of needing daily lotion, oil, washing, etc. It's pretty well healed and just needs more time to finish peeling and settle in. Leave it alone. Once it looks like "normal" skin again, you can incorporate it into a daily moisturizing routine if you want (I usually only regularly use body lotion in the winter, but some people do it year round).

I'm a big advocate of doing as little as possible to heal tattoos and piercings, as little lotion as you can stand before the itching drives you insane (like one drop every couple days at the most). Your body knows what it's doing to heal itself and sometimes us trying to "help" it only makes it worse, so it's the least fussy method of healing.

8 hours ago, Mistressmunin said:

I was going to post this in 'aftercare', but for some reason the site wouldn't allow me to, even though I've already posted in 'initiation' previously. So, apologies for the placement :)

I was wondering if anyone has had success using Argan oil in place of unscented lotion? I believe the lotion is clogging my pores, even though I've been very careful about how much I apply. I've tried both tattoo-goo lotion (not the wax), which worked well for the whole second week, and Equate unscented. At the first small bump, I switched from the goo to Equate and cut back... but then even more little pimples cropped up, so I've stopped moisturizing altogether and have just been washing it (once a day or as needed). It's looking a little dry, so I was thinking about giving it one more day to breathe, and then using a tad of argan oil, which is very light and is not supposed to clog pores (I use it on my face and it's amazing). I was wondering if y'all think that's a good idea, or if it'd be better to just leave it dry? I'm assuming at this point my tattoo is going to be pretty much okay, either way, but it is my first, so I thought I'd double-check here just to be safe.

Anyway, thanks! 

Just a heads-up—you have to post ten times before you can create a new thread anywhere other than Initiation. :-)

Agree with @Synesthesia; just leave it. Do nothing.