JazzyMac's looking for a bada$$ floral

JazzyMac

Hey there LST!  Former (researcher) lurker, and now new member just saying hi.  I'll be looking for an extensive realistic floral tattoo.  My research actually took me to what turned out to be this really great artist in florals.  However, his assistant pimped me out to someone else who doesn't specialize in florals, doesn't have more than three floral tattoo photos on any of his pages, and they're not in the same realm.  I said, "thanks for the handoff, but no thanks", and just signed up for an account here instead to continue my research.  I guess maybe they thought I was so hard up for some ink that I'd just go to anyone?  It was weird.

Okay, venting over.  Hello everyone!

Edited by JazzyMac

I'm in Texas...and have no qualms on traveling, EXCEPT, I'm wondering how many back and forth sessions I would have to take.  Plane trips/hotels/etc. would be costly.

I've been researching artists in Canada, Oregon, Cali...all around, so I'm definitely not limiting myself. It actually happened I came upon the artist in Texas that surprised me.

Edited by JazzyMac

I don't see any reason to limit your artist search to someone who specializes in floral realism. As long as the artist excels in realism then the floral aspect should come naturally. Still not sure where you are in our largest state (not including Alaska), but in Houston you've got Nate Beavers https://www.instagram.com/natebeavers/  and in Dallas you've got Liz Cook https://www.instagram.com/lizcooktattoo/?hl=en. Realism isn't my forte so I don't have any instant recollection for Austin, but Joey Ortega there did very flowers on my wife and daughter https://www.instagram.com/p/BKo9JIVBAcZ/?taken-by=oiseau_noir&hl=en

Thank you for those recommendations.  I didn't realize that realism = florals, as I've looked at Rebel Muse and Oiseau Noir.  Rebel Muse (Mushaney's team) was the one who pimped me out to someone whom I felt wasn't "expert in floral".  They could have meant well, but went about it all wrong in my opinion.  I might take time and drive over there and just check out the shop, but just from the way I was treated I really don't feel hard pressed to do so.  I get the feeling that folks get a huge following and then feel they can treat new customers any sort of way.  I'm not upset about it anymore, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.  

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

Did you decide on an artist? Also, what other tattoos do you have?

I did decide on an artist. Very excited!  I didn't find him on this site though. Not surprised.

As far as showing off current or future tattoos, I'll pass. I could tell your question was cheeky and you guys just aren't open to "newbies" who don't think and act like you. 

So we'll just carry on as we have. 

Thanks for reviving my thread though!  I've really been wondering if I should leave a yelp review about Mushaney. 

Good for you. Glad that you found an artist! My question wasn't cheeky at all. I am very curious to know if you have other tattoos.

I am by no means an expert (which by all accounts takes 10,000 of practice before your become an expert in anything). I often pass on giving any type of advice because while I am informed, I still don't necessarily feel qualified to give an opinion. I have about 60 hours of needle time, both sets of ribs, a full spine and other work that has shaped my perspective to date but I am always open to learn more.

This is a tattoo forum where we celebrate our tattoos whether it's the first or the 100th. You've been posting a bit over the last three weeks and I simply wanted to know more about your work. I celebrate diversity of opinions - that's what makes the world tick.

I do think that when you celebrate your tattoos, artists and experiences it earns you respect in the community.

I am unsure what you mean by not being surprised that your artist wasn't found on this site? There are so many amazing artists. Why not share someone amazing so other's can see their work?

I have posted the artist who will be doing my tattoo. But people are so keen on figuring out who I am instead of actually reading what I put out, it's no surprise (again) that my artist isn't on here.

As far as 10,000 hours (Gladwell), far more goes into that then just a numbers game. As I'm sure you know. 

Maybe I'm one who thinks that respect is not "earned", but instead a right bestowed on all our fellow brothers and sisters just from the act of living. Let the cards fall where they may. Again. I think different.