Walk ins

DeadStark

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on walk in etiquette. All my previous tattoos have been planned custom pieces that I've booked in and waited months for. I've never just rocked up to a shop and got some flash, but I'd really like to.

I'm in London for a few days in August and I'm thinking this could be the perfect time. I wondered if you could give me some advice on etiquette and how I go about it? It sounds like a silly question I know, but do I just walk in? Do I contact the shop beforehand, on the day, or a few weeks prior to check that they take walk in customers? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not usually a spontaneous person, so this doesn't come naturally!

As long as it is a 'street shop' that does walk ins, yes, you literally walk in. Generally most or all of the artists in house have times when they have a gap in their schedule and pick up a walk in or two, so you can score! It isn't a game for 'lesser' artists around here.

Typically you give your idea to the counter person, who can help match you up with the right artist, or show you a portfolio/flash sheet from the artist he's got in mind.

If you have no idea, check out the art on the wall, or on the artist's pin boards. They often have pieces they want to do on hand that they've drawn up during down time.