Hey guys, I'm after some design advice/opinions

Jack530

Hello everybody :)

I'm looking into getting my first tattoo on my inner forearm and have a design in mind. Thing is, I'm not sure if it would be able to replicated well in tattoo form.

This is the actual piece of art, It was posted on deviantart by user: BaxiaArt

59596242c7aa6_CityLightsbyBaxiaArt.thumb.jpg.b1c001e3d4c75d54de0646125f0cd79b.jpg

I had a play on photoshop and made a few changes and cropped it, came out with this in the end.

tattoo1.jpg.206dddb55c391d9fa3fed5a1d78cef4d.jpg

tattoo.jpg.9ca52e59cf0db9609b021dba3ad81ea9.jpg

I'm not that good on photoshop so it still needs some lighting changes and other edits but that was what I came out with in the end.

My question is, would this be able to replicated in a tattoo? Feel free to give any other advice or opinions on the design :)

Cheers

That's going to be incredibly difficult to pull off both in style and placement. Your arm isn't that big and chances are it could look like a big dark blob after a few years. Dig deep into your head to find out what about the image resonates with you. Try to simplify. I think that you already know that not every piece of art can be translated into a tattoo. :)

I'm not an expert on realism but that would take someone like Nikko Hurtado to even get close.

I think if you do some research, you'll be able to find a great artist to do a nice silhouette.  After all, with all the black and grey tattoos out there, it shouldn't be too difficult to pull this off, right?  Based on the research I've done, I think you'll be able to find a good artist sooner than you think.

http://nextluxury.com/mens-style-and-fashion/silhouette-tattoo-designs-for-men/

https://www.tattoodo.com/s?type=images&q=%23silhouette

#silhouettetattoo on IG

Edited by JazzyMac

It's not going to look like that piece of art. So get that out of your head. That's also a very small space to put that kind of image. You need to rethink placement, rethink the image, and just be careful because you could end up with a truly shitty tattoo. As my friend @Gingerninja said, that is going to be very difficult to pull off. VERY.

The problem with translating your source material is that it doesn't have any light/dark differentiation between foreground and background, the only way to see the foreground is the girl is in focus and the buildings aren't. This doesn't translate well to tattooing, especially small areas like a forearm.

If the design (or the smaller one) is truly what you want, find a reputable tattoo artist that you like their style and let them translate it to a tattoo. Simplifying is also important so be prepared to tell them what elements are meaningful to you and let them take it from there.

Silhouettes are the same as I mentioned before - if there's nothing to differentiate foreground/background, it will just be a big expensive blob.

To sum up, my vote goes for no on original, yes with changes by a tattoo artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk