What can I do with this shit tattoo?

thyes

Hi guys and gals. So, this was my first tattoo. Got it like 8 years ago if I recall correct. When the artist sent me the sketch on mail, I thought it looked badass, but not long after it was inked on my skin I realized that I hated it. 

Well, hate is a strong word, but I am definetely not satisfied with it - and in my opinion when you're not satisfied with a tattoo, you've failed :p

It has been bugging me for years, but just recently I've started to really consider getting it fixed. Now, I'm happy with the skull, but the "sunrays"... barf. I wanted it black and grey from the get go, but the artist kinda convinced me to add colours to it.

I thought about having it lazered, but that's expensive as hell here in Norway - and I also hear it hurts like a bitch. So my dilemma is this; can I really cover up the colours with black and grey? Or do I need to at least fade it with a lazer, and then get it covered? 

Any thoughts on cool concepts that could go with the skull is also greatly appreciated :) I had this thought about putting a top hat on the skull, and/or maybe an angelic wing on one side, and a demonic wing on the other. I dunno, I'm kind of lost on this one.

Help me please!

19858669_10213368802764370_308053996_n.jpg

Hey there and welcome!

My two cents: I suggest that you find an artist to talk to about what you want. Depending upon what they say, you may or may not have to do the laser option.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to go BIG. If you are a traditional guy, think Pharaoh's Horses, Rock of Ages....something big. If you are inclined to Japanese-style, you could do tiger-dragon Battle Royal or the like.

Who knows, maybe one or two laser sessions would be all that you need to lighten it up? It does hurt. And's it's expensive but for the size of piece that you need for a cover-up, you may have to do it.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I know I'll have to go pretty big to cover this one up.. kids, let this be a lesson to you. 

I'm getting a new tattoo in august, maybe I can ask my artist during the session what she thinks. 

But yeah, pour em out if you have suggestions :)

Actually never heard of him, but yeah he had some sklls for sure! Japanese is not my cup of tea to be honest, traditional has grown on me though. I'm a big fan of realism. 

Hehe yeah, I'm actually going to Denmark for my next tattoo :) Not Royal though, but a girl who worked at Sinners Inc, she's setting up a new shop these days. 

Jimmy Duvall is pretty damned good at cover-up, but it's probably not what you're looking for.

If I were you, I'd just pay Marius and have him do whatever he wants to do on my back and cover that little thing along the way. You simply cannot go wrong with anything from him. I've seen 5 year old hands that look like they were done yesterday.

I took a closer look at Marius' Instagram, and yeah.. he may absolutely be a good pick! I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the skull and add something that would suit it nicely. 

But like realistically, if I want a backpiece in black and grey I'd pretty much have to lazer the rays, right? If not it would have to be pretty damn dark in those areas..

@Gingerninja Cool! If you have the time, you should pay the northern parts of Norway a visit - it's way nicer up here ;) I've never really liked our capital. Northern Norway has breathtaking nature, if you're interested in such that is. 

• 3 weeks later...

The weather has been amazing for the better part of a week now (highly unusual in Norway), so I've gettin' mah tan on, yo. I always smack on SPF 50 on my tattoos, but lately I've been thinking what if I dont apply sunscreen on this tattoo? Wouldn't it be easier to get it removed or covered up if the sun had worked it's "magic" on it for a while first? I know direct sunlight isn't good for our skin in general, so for longer periods in the sun I'd obviously use sunscreen, just not sunblock like I do on the tats I actually like. 

Any inputs, am I missing some vital aspects to purposely fading a tattoo with UV rays? :4_joy:

Good to know. I've had three spots cut out. Now, I'm all twitchy about other spots showing up under my tattoos! In any event, I don't know how much sun you'd have to get to fade it. Plus, laser works "from the inside out"...take good care and enjoy your beautiful weather. Winter is coming (sorry couldn't resist a GoT reference).

• 4 months later...

I wonder if you could do something along the lines of a mandala around the skull, it would most likely disguise The Sun beams. I actually don’t think it looks bad the way it is but I am a fan of sun tattoos in general, so I’m biased. Lol