Post Tattoo anxiety

MonkeyKetchup

Hello friends! I'm new to this forum and in need of some advice. I got a small quote on the outside my forearm the other day and I was digging it when I got it but I've been so depressed and I've had this awful anxiety since I got it and I haven't left my house and everytime I stare at it I feel like I made a mistake and I don't know what else to do and wanted to hear from people who live and breathe tattoos to see what your opinion is on this? I feel like I'm going crazy I mean I see a lot of people that don't have tattoos on their forearms and idk I feel like super insecure because where I'm from people have very unnoticeable tattoos and mine is pretty noticeable and big

Edited by MonkeyKetchup

32 minutes ago, MonkeyKetchup said:

Hello friends! I'm new to this forum and in need of some advice. I got a small quote on the outside my forearm the other day and I was digging it when I got it but I've been so depressed and I've had this awful anxiety since I got it and I haven't left my house and everytime I stare at it I feel like I made a mistake and I don't know what else to do and wanted to hear from people who live and breathe tattoos to see what your opinion is on this? I feel like I'm going crazy

try these :14_relaxed:

https://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/t/7707-tattoo-regret-or-is-it-just-new/

https://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/search/

Hi :)

I've also just gotten a new tattoo and am completely new to tattoos in general so am quite ignorant, however this is what one of my tattooed friend told me before I got mine: regret is part of the journey. There are always going to be moments when you feel like "oh shit, what have I done" but just embrace it and move on. I personally think it's F***ing cool that you went out and got yourself tattooed: it's brave, it's unique and it's an experience. 

Worst case scenario you can always have it removed, but if I were you I would enjoy it for the time being :) 

1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

Hi :)

I've also just gotten a new tattoo and am completely new to tattoos in general so am quite ignorant, however this is what one of my tattooed friend told me before I got mine: regret is part of the journey. There are always going to be moments when you feel like "oh shit, what have I done" but just embrace it and move on. I personally think it's F***ing cool that you went out and got yourself tattooed: it's brave, it's unique and it's an experience. 

Worst case scenario you can always have it removed, but if I were you I would enjoy it for the time being :) 

Very true! I never really thought about it that way! Thank you so much.

Edited by MonkeyKetchup

Good on you @BeHappy! You sound like you are starting to plan your next one. :)

@MonkeyKetchup You need to give yourself time to adjust. Give yourself at least three months before you do make any decisions. Laser removal sucks, takes time (I'm on my 7th treatment over the last year) , hurts and is expensive.

I like to say that tattoos are like marriages. They are a lot easier to get into than get out of.

Happy healing and welcome.

Thing is with marriages AND tattoos, you don't have to get either or do either in order to prove anything.  And you can think extremely long and hard before doing either.  Therefore, when it's done, barring health and safety that you didn't know prior to getting into either, it's there for life.

So you've done one or the other, and now you've got regrets?  Welp, like others have said...give it time to "simmer" before making any rash decisions.  Also, how about hanging out in places where other people have tattoos?  Maybe in big metropolitan areas, shopping areas where there's bound to be more people (more people = more tattoos), or see if you can find a convention coming up, or maybe a couple of bars.

See how you feel then.  Incidentally, what's the quote say?

It seems to me that you took an extremely bold leap not just in getting one but also in choosing to place it in a location where it is very visible - unless you always wear long sleeves. Making that jump where you know others can see your tattoo is something that takes time for many people. As others have said, let it settle in. What you are going through mentally is something that many, perhaps most, people do especially on a first tattoo. Added to the fact that it is on a part of your body that is often exposed to the view of others would, I think, just make that second-guessing even stronger on a first tattoo. 

I still haven't made the jump to my lower arms - but now often wear sleeveless shirts. But that confidence took time to build. I bet you will soon discover that confidence in yourself, too!