Better with Age - the Healed Thread

el twe

Surprised to find that there isn't a thread for this yet, so here goes...

We all know about "healed 'n hairy" tattoos, but how many of you have tattoos that you've only really come to appreciate after they've settled into the skin?  It's taken a couple years for me to fully enjoy having this wolf on my leg.  The tattoo was done by Ron Wells and I was ecstatic to get it, but before too long I didn't quite know what to think of it.  Not that I didn't like the image, the artist, or the experience - it just felt a little out of line with my own demeanor.  As time passed, more tattoos were added around it but it wasn't until the last couple of months that I realized I really liked this tattoo again!  Even though the tattoo was mine, it took a while before I felt like I really 'owned' it, if that makes any sense.

Here's a picture of it the day I got it, and one taken this afternoon (about 2.5 years later):

10919580_826385444066429_167996620_n.jpg

kdS4o4G.jpg

So post your old, but better tattoos!  I'd be interested to hear others' experiences in the matter.

1 hour ago, el twe said:

Surprised to find that there isn't a thread for this yet, so here goes...

We all know about "healed 'n hairy" tattoos, but how many of you have tattoos that you've only really come to appreciate after they've settled into the skin?  It's taken a couple years for me to fully enjoy having this wolf on my leg.  The tattoo was done by Ron Wells and I was ecstatic to get it, but before too long I didn't quite know what to think of it.  Not that I didn't like the image, the artist, or the experience - it just felt a little out of line with my own demeanor.  As time passed, more tattoos were added around it but it wasn't until the last couple of months that I realized I really liked this tattoo again!  Even though the tattoo was mine, it took a while before I felt like I really 'owned' it, if that makes any sense.

Here's a picture of it the day I got it, and one taken this afternoon (about 2.5 years later):

10919580_826385444066429_167996620_n.jpg

kdS4o4G.jpg

So post your old, but better tattoos!  I'd be interested to hear others' experiences in the matter.

Can I ask if there is any significance to this particular tattoo?  Did you get it only because of Ron Wells, or is it a combination of the werewolf + Ron Wells work, etc.?  Honestly, I think it looks a lot better from a couple of years ago.  I hope that's not offensive, I've gleaned (from the Initiation thread) that it's okay to give honest feedback on tattoos.  

11 hours ago, JazzyMac said:

Can I ask if there is any significance to this particular tattoo?  Did you get it only because of Ron Wells, or is it a combination of the werewolf + Ron Wells work, etc.?  Honestly, I think it looks a lot better from a couple of years ago.  I hope that's not offensive, I've gleaned (from the Initiation thread) that it's okay to give honest feedback on tattoos.  

No real significance to this one, other than I'm a fan of Ron's work.  The details were certainly crisper back then, but they're still hiding in there and the whole thing has less of a 'sticker' feel to it I guess.  To each their own.

@Gingerninja Yes!  A Gordon Combs rooster head that a buddy and I got a couple summers ago.  Gordon's done a bunch of super cool roosters since then, I'd like to think we started a bit of a trend...