Saying hi and looking for advice

Ken4784

Hi all, been lurking and decided to post today. I don't have any tattoos but want to get one. I'm 33/m and live in Maryland in the US. I've always been interested and drawn to tattoos but could never find something meaningful enough to pull the trigger. Finally with the birth of my second child, I feel inspired enough to get one. 

I guess my question is, what do I do now? My kids names are Ivy and Archer and since their names are both nouns (ivy the plant/vine, and archer - one who performs archery), I thought their names could somewhat easily be translated to an image. I'm just not sure what that image would be. I'm thinking a half sleeve on my upper left arm. Is this enough of an idea to bring to an artist? 

Anyone got any good ideas how to bring together the two names into a cohesive idea? 

Thanks all and nice to be here with you.

Hey there and welcome! You have so many creative options. My two cents - first, start researching artists and figure out what style you may like. So many artists would love to do a custom piece based on some general ideas that you already have (just the names alone spark ideas). Instagram will be your friend. Look at tons of photos and styles. Then contact an artist for a consult.

Where in MD do you live?

UNFORTUNATELY (or maybe fortunately!),

Since the two names are now *huge* characters in pop culture, you're going to find a lot of "Poison Ivy" and "Archer-Danger Zone!" references.  :11_blush:

Have you checked out tattoodo.com?

I use that to throw my design ideas against, and as luck would have it, I'm able to find a ton of artists, and then I plug those artists into Instagram to learn learn more about them.  

This is what I pulled up on Google though.  ivy plant tattoo

Welcome, Ken! I think if you start researching artists in your area, you'll find the right artist for you. They will come up with something that conveys what you want for your tattoo.

If you tell us where you are, we can certainly try to help with artist suggestions. There are great resources here! Glad you have joined us!

Edited by oboogie