Hello I'm getting a new tattoo in a few weeks (Polynesian Tribal)

Groundzero112

Hello, I'm new to this Forum as well as for getting my first tattoo. So I am going to Oahu in a couple of weeks and during the end of the trip I was going to get my first Polynesian tribal tattoo. I did research on the shop and the artist. He got got some nice work from the pictures I ve seen online. My question is when I go to the consultation can I ask him to do a similar drawing/pattern maybe not the same exact one but similar to his old work that he did on someone else. I read online that they do a lot of freehand so I was wondering if I can ask him that question without coming off as a douche. I'd rather ask him about his previous work then something I found off of google. Any advice?

Since you are traveling, make sure to follow your aftercare to a T! Keep it clean, clean, clean.

You need to communicate what you want and don't want then trust him to come up with something that you'll like. Just pay super close attention to the detail when he asks you to look at it in the mirror BEFORE he starts to tattoo you. It can be an overwhelming experience to take it all in at the moment.

Most of all - enjoy the experience! Remember to eat before you go, bring water and some sugar to snack on. Post photos when you get back. We love seeing photos of tattoos.

Totally agree with @Gingerninja's recommendations. Communication is the key - and it is certainly OK to take some examples of what the artist has done to show as references to what you're looking for. That's why artists typically have books available to see what they've done before.

Enjoy and post pictures!!

Hopefully, @Dan will pitch in here - he's got experience having work done while visiting Hawaii.

Edited by Devious6

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I usually don't like that type of tattoo but yours looks really awesome!!!

As thyes said above, "tribals" as a general category here in Europe at least are the never-ending tread.. everyone has been wanting a "tribal tattoo" since the '90s..

Some of them though look really good and have a meaning and a history, they're not pure decorative pieces of ink with no connections. And I really like yours!