HELP! Question about tattoo healing process???

Rarely

Hey, I'm new to LST forums, and couldn't find a way to post under "Tattoo Aftercare" as the only option was "Initiation." Anyways, I've got a few questions about my first tattoo. I got it done ten days ago at a certified parlor (sterilized needles, clean environment, etc.) Since 10 days have passed, I have not noticed any redness, plasma leakage, or bumps around my tattoo. But I still have some significant scabbing in different areas on the tattoo. I'll have a picture below (not a very good camera angle since it's on my upper back). The dark parts of the tattoo on the picture are scabs. Does the scabbing look normal? Does it look too raised? Also, as you can see, there are already faded areas on my tattoo. Is this normal as well, and is it because the ink used wasn't permanent enough? If it helps, my artist was a vegan who used vegan only inks. Also, I have NOT picked or touched my tattoo after the first two days of getting it (in those two days I was gently washing, applying Aquaphor and bandaging the area). Thanks for reading, and sorry for all the questions!   

20170726_121952.jpg

Welcome to the forum! As Dan said, it looks to be healing normally. Only time will tell on the saturation. It takes months for a tattoo to settle in. I'd suggest you check back with your artist in two or three weeks - he/she will be able to guide you on whether there might be any need for a touch up. And, remember your skin needs air to heal so don't oversaturate the tattoo with lotion - a very light coat of Aveeno or other scent-free lotion will keep it moist and less itchy.

3 minutes ago, Chris_818 said:

Hello somebody please help I don't know how to make my own post I would like somebody to help me out I just got my first tattoo 5 days ago and it's really bumpy and has yellow around the tattoo please help..

well,sadly and unfortunately," really bumpy and has yellow around the tattoo" only means one thing !

Here is a photo of my tattoo i currently have it on dry I have not put any aquaphor since of this morning I have bin washing it with antibacterial soap.. I have a feeling it's not supposed to be looking like this should I see a doctor immediately? 

IMG_0614.JPG

15 minutes ago, Chris_818 said:

Here is a photo of my tattoo i currently have it on dry I have not put any aquaphor since of this morning I have bin washing it with antibacterial soap.. I have a feeling it's not supposed to be looking like this should I see a doctor immediately? 

IMG_0614.JPG

What do you think it is supposed to look like? Maybe it's my ancient eyes, but I don't see what's wrong with it. You know tattoos take more than 5 days to heal, right? It looks like it's bumpy because of scabs and I don't see any yellow.

It's very hard to tell from your picture but if it feels warm, is red or has pus then you should go to a doctor immediately - those are signs of an infection.

Of course, you should follow the directions of your artist but 5 days of Aquaphor seems a bit much and, if your tattoo is not infected it may just be swelling a bit from over-use of the Aquaphor. 

By all means, if you have any of the symptoms above, go to a doctor. If not, you may just want to let it dry out for a day or so and then apply a VERY LIGHT coat of a unscented lotion, like Aveeno, several times a day.

9 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

What do you think it is supposed to look like? Maybe it's my ancient eyes, but I don't see what's wrong with it. You know tattoos take more than 5 days to heal, right? It looks like it's bumpy because of scabs and I don't see any yellow.

Well since it's my first tattoo i wouldn't know what to expect sorry just really worried don't want any type of infection or anything to go wrong.. but when I do put some strong lighting on my tattoo you can see that there is some yellowing in the skin and when I wash my tattoo out and let it air dry there seems to be little dots of discharge not anything big but I can see small dots of discharge around the yellowing areas.. not sure if it's normal or not? Also my skin is popping up a lot and looks a little bubbly to me I'm not sure if that is normal as well? Sorry just really concerned.. thank you for replying!

15 minutes ago, Devious6 said:

It's very hard to tell from your picture but if it feels warm, is red or has pus then you should go to a doctor immediately - those are signs of an infection.

Of course, you should follow the directions of your artist but 5 days of Aquaphor seems a bit much and, if your tattoo is not infected it may just be swelling a bit from over-use of the Aquaphor. 

By all means, if you have any of the symptoms above, go to a doctor. If not, you may just want to let it dry out for a day or so and then apply a VERY LIGHT coat of a unscented lotion, like Aveeno, several times a day.

Thank you very much I feel relived to know that infection is not a problem. I don't have any of the symptoms you mentioned I feel better haha.. Just a little worried because 5 days in my tattoo it just started getting a bit puffy and what looks a little bubbly to me. I also do have some yellowing around when I have strong lighting around my tattoo and after I wash my tattoo out with antibacterial soap and air dry it you can see little dots of discharge from the areas with yellowing.. is that normal? I have read online that some small discharge is normal.. not sure though?? Thanks for the help!

As I said before, it is very hard to tell from your picture but doesn't look infected. Everyone heals differently and many have some plasma discharge - but that generally stops within a day or so. 

My suggestion is for you to go see your artist and have him/her look at it. And, if it is discharging yellow sticky fluid - pus - then go see a doctor. Immediately. Having someone see it in person is much preferable to us trying to guess from your description and picture.

12 hours ago, Chris_818 said:

Well since it's my first tattoo i wouldn't know what to expect sorry just really worried don't want any type of infection or anything to go wrong.. but when I do put some strong lighting on my tattoo you can see that there is some yellowing in the skin and when I wash my tattoo out and let it air dry there seems to be little dots of discharge not anything big but I can see small dots of discharge around the yellowing areas.. not sure if it's normal or not? Also my skin is popping up a lot and looks a little bubbly to me I'm not sure if that is normal as well? Sorry just really concerned.. thank you for replying!

If you are worried start with your tattoo artist. Go see them in person and show it to them. First of all, it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it from the picture. The yellowing areas are probably bruises. Small dots and discharge may be too much moisturizer. Skin popping up and bubbly, I don't know; I can't see it in your picture. It just looks like you have some pretty heavy scabs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all sorry for jumping on someone's post but I can not seem to start my own thread lol. Anyways got my thigh tattoo 11 days ago and it's healing differently then my 8 others ever have just curious if this is relatively normal for a thigh healing process? I know one part I scraped while camping on the weekend and it got a slight infection that has dried up now so I'm guessing that will be messed up once fully healed,  but there's these other spots that look white/pale throughout the tattoo and I'm curious if these spots mean ill need lots of touch ups

IMG_20170817_111416.jpg

IMG_20170817_111440.jpg

1 hour ago, tattooedmom said:

Hi all sorry for jumping on someone's post but I can not seem to start my own thread lol. Anyways got my thigh tattoo 11 days ago and it's healing differently then my 8 others ever have just curious if this is relatively normal for a thigh healing process? I know one part I scraped while camping on the weekend and it got a slight infection that has dried up now so I'm guessing that will be messed up once fully healed,  but there's these other spots that look white/pale throughout the tattoo and I'm curious if these spots mean ill need lots of touch ups

IMG_20170817_111416.jpg

IMG_20170817_111440.jpg

looks like it wants some Aveeno,but other wise for 11 days it looks perfectly normal,remember tattoos take several months to fully  heal.

that hazy milky look and flakiness will go away.

in 6 months after it's healed see then if it needs any touchups.

PS,stop looking at it with a magnifying glass.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, tattoo1010 said:

cant start my own thread either.. is this dark red mixed with orange snake removable with laser??

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

a tattoo like that even after MANY painful and expensive laser procedures will never be gone 100%,the best you can expect with laser is to lighten the old one up enough to cover it up with a better/different tattoo.

the right artist can sometimes "re-work" a tattoo to make it look better.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, tattoo1010 said:

how light can this be made? i dont mind the treatments u sure it cant be done over a very very longperiod of time with best laser technology

It's best to talk with a quality laser removal tech to see what's possible. You can certainly lighten it...and perhaps get it to the point where it can be covered. You'll never get it to the point where you'll have natural skin tone that would permit unconnected individual pieces...but perhaps a competent artist could create a cohesive look of blended designs. The key is to also find a competent artist.

Why do you want to remove this one?

• 2 years later...
On 8/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, tattooedmom said:

IMG_20170817_111416.jpg

IMG_20170817_111440.jpg

Have you got a picture of this healed now? After all the milky skin has gone? 

1 minute ago, Hands On said:

@SJ94 just a heads up that they post you're asking about is from 3years ago now and the poster only has one total post, so there's not a high chance of a reply. 😬

not to say that it won't happen, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

I figured that after mate cheers 😂

mine is at the same stage on the 10 day...

6C927C03-ECE7-4C3D-B589-615A38533E84.jpeg

219DED2A-4330-4D53-9745-1126C75CA228.jpeg

@SJ94 looking good so far. As i've seen in a few other threads, you're stoked and concerned. as the other folks have mentioned, give it some time to heal. it'll be great.

in the meantime, welcome to large and visible tattoo club and also welcome to LST! stick around and take a look at some other threads. the's some amazing stuff on here!