Coverup for my coverup :(

Caramia

Hi i'm new here!

Signed up because i'm at a complete lost of what to do about my coverup tattoo that covered up the baby angel (see pic).

I love the hibiscus but hate how the peony flower came out. I hate the yellow and I think the peony is positioned weirdly. The yellow represents the inside of the peony.

So i'm torn because i'm stuck with a half-loved tattoo and i'm having such a hard time finding examples of tattoos that go along with the hibiscus because it isn't a "realistic" tattoo but it also isn't too cartoonish.

1# question: should I change the yellow to blue OR what other color do you think would match?

2#: Would it be possible to cover it up with something else? (I've ran out of creative ideas)

3# any recommended coverup artists in FL, the USA or Europe?

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_8363.JPG

Edited by Caramia

When did you get the cover-up done? Not to sound harsh but I suggest living with it for a solid year. When you get to a point where you are asking for a cover-up of a cover-up, you need to seriously reconsider what you want, your expectations, how you are communicating with your artist(s)...the entire process.

I really like your tattoo. It's well executed and pretty. As Dan mentioned, you could add to it.

I'm with the other guys, live with it for a bit, it looks pretty nice. And as the others said adding to it may be better than covering. Covering a fresh dark tattoo like that will involve expensive lasering and waiting anyway so let yourself stop thinking about it for a couple of months and see how you feel about it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Dan

thank you. I would definitely love to avoid a coverup. I just can't get over how much I don't like the yellow/brown. Maybe if I add leafs to it i'd like it better. I just think the yellow/brown blends in too much with my own skin color. Other than that I absolutely love the hibiscus. I'm just having a hard time envisioning what color I can change the yellow to based on the purple/blue combo.

@Gingerninja You're totally fine! I do plan to live with it for awhile until I find a tattoo artist that i'll have zero doubts about. I got the blue/yellow peony tattoo 2 months ago and the hibiscus 4 months ago. I agree it definitely looks professional but the yellow/brown colors were just disappointing. 

@jaimilyn Thank you! I'll just have to suck it up and not feel so self-conscious about it. 

P.S: any idea where this style of my tattoo falls into (eg: illustrative, realistic, .. etc) just so I can find similar examples while I research?

You may not like it but it's not a BAD tattoo. Just my opinion, but the more you screw around with it, the more likely you WILL end up with a bad tattoo. Go big around it and you won't even notice it. I definitely echo @Gingerninja - wait at least a year. It sounds like a long time, but it will pass before you know it. 

Your original tattoo was shit, but this coverup is great if you ask me. However, I do see what you mean about the yellow/orange in the lower flower. It will probably fade to look like your natural skin colour over the years, my guess at least. Then again, tattoos fade, and colourful tattoos probably need touching up more often than black and grey. 

If you want to change the colour of it then that's a perfectly sound solution, but like everyone above said; wait a while. I have a tattoo on my back that I have been insecure about for around 5-6 years now, so I know what it feels like. I know that I'm gonna get it fixed some day, but since it's covered most of the time I'm in no rush. 

Good luck, whatever you decide to do :)

I guess its all been said all ready so this may be pointless. But it looks good. The yellow/brown does sort of blend in a bit. And it is going to fade to a more neutral colour. But that could be great. If you add more vibrant colours around it, it will truly help everything else pop. As well as being a nice contrast to the colours drawing peoples eyes into it.

If later on you still aren't happy with the position or angles of the leaves and petals, a good artist will be able to extend some line work and perhaps get some nice shading in there to accentuate the angles and make things a bit more natural. But remember that flowers aren't perfectly symmetrical in nature any way.