Things to do in San Francisco

Iwar

I've been lurking and getting the lowdown for my trip to SF first week of July. I talked with Mr. Cleen at the Star of Texas Convention and hopefully I'll be getting something from him while I'm there. Thanks for the all the info!

when it gets closer let us know the dates and a reminder and we'll try to arrange a LST get together. Regardless it'd be good to grab some coffee and meet you. Look forward to seeing a travel blog after the trip on LST?!?

Great idea! It would be a highlight of my trip for sure. I'm travelling alone, with no other specific plans than getting tattooed, so basically any evening between September 20th and 26th works for me. We should all get Shawn's squid-pants design tattooed!

Iwar what are you thinking of getting from Grimey? What a good dude aye, has a wait list longer than most but will still make time for us foreigners wanting some work.

I asked him if he would do a skull wearing a gladiator helmet on my leg. Haven't received a final confirmation yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have poured through IRON WILL countless times, so I'm extremely stoked that he seemed willing to grant me an appointment.

Iwar, Temple is really close to my work, and my work is also right off of a BART station, so i could help direct you around downtown.

Seriously? That's so nice of you! When my departure gets closer I'll send you a pm, and we can take it from there :) Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about the hotel but do know it is a good central location with the BART only about one block away in case you decide to venture out to Oakland or other East Bay areas. For the most part that neighborhood you're in is seeing gentrification at its finest so if you've got a semi street wise mind n eyes you'll be good.

Look forward to meeting you......

Not to post jump, but my SF trip is coming up. I don't drink, so bars aren't my thing, but I'm really wanting some tips on restaurants- Italian, seafood, Japanese, Chinese, natural/veggie/"hippie", Mexican. I'm staying at the Hotel Des Artes, but we're going to be all over town. Also, do they do free yoga in any of the parks in the mornings?

Not to post jump, but my SF trip is coming up. I don't drink, so bars aren't my thing, but I'm really wanting some tips on restaurants- Italian, seafood, Japanese, Chinese, natural/veggie/"hippie", Mexican. I'm staying at the Hotel Des Artes, but we're going to be all over town. Also, do they do free yoga in any of the parks in the mornings?

hey kev, welcome...you are staying in the heart of san francisco. belden place is a fun street...sort of reminds me of europe.

i personally really like blowfish sushi but it can be a little bit of a scene and kind of loud. sushi ran in sausalito is great as well.

there are so many great places to eat in the bay area i am sure others will chime in...also maybe dari can help guide you of any free yoga places...she is our personal yoga guru ;)

how this thread has made it to page 3 without anyone mentioning the most important, legendary, and must see place to experience/use is in SF is truly disappointing to say the least.

THE LUSTY LADY. jesus, after you hit blackheart and make your way towards tattoo city, go stand in someones mess and work out your stress for 5 minutes. thats the SF experience.

When are you coming out this way?

Seafood- Anchor in the Castro

Japanese- I second Tammy's suggestions especially Sushi Ran if you make it to Sausalito

Mexican- tons of places but can't think of names right now so get back to you on that

Kev, when are you getting in?

would anyone want to meet up to welcome Kev?

oh and for vegan food, there's a few spots you should try. The neat loaf at Ananda Fuara is amazing (and will give you the whole hippie experience), there's Herbivore which is pretty good, Source, which will give you a different kind of hippie experience (more new age), the Plant Cafe, Cha-ya sushi or Minako (if you want to try vegan sushi), Golden Era for awesome vegan viet/thai insipired food, and of course my favorite burrito spot, Papalotes (maybe not the most authentic, but their refried black beans and salsa rule!). Some of these places also have non-vegan items, but everyone here knows where my votes go on the menu. There's also fancier, more expensive veg places like Greens, Millenium, and Gracias Madre (definitely the cheapest out of the three though).

• 2 weeks later...

Great trip-did all the tourist/ art things I wanted: Chinatown, Hotel des Artes, Coit Tower,City Lights, North Beach, Tony's Pizza, Ed Hardy's Tattoo City, Fisherman's Wharf, Boudin Bakery, De Young, SFMOMA, Ed Hardy's show at Ft.Mason, Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Park, Japanese Garden, Exploratorium, Whitewalls, Upper Playground, Grandmaster Flash at the Fillmore, Cris Cleen tattoo, fireworks, The Castro, Market Street, etc.

Here is the awesome tattoo I received from Cleen:

tumblr_lnu0ac0jXu1qbw6j4o1_500.jpg

Great trip-did all the tourist/ art things I wanted: Chinatown, Hotel des Artes, Coit Tower,City Lights, North Beach, Tony's Pizza, Ed Hardy's Tattoo City, Fisherman's Wharf, Boudin Bakery, De Young, SFMOMA, Ed Hardy's show at Ft.Mason, Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Park, Japanese Garden, Exploratorium, Whitewalls, Upper Playground, Grandmaster Flash at the Fillmore, Cris Cleen tattoo, fireworks, The Castro, Market Street, etc.

If you feel inclined it would be cool to see a blog about your travel to SF......

• 1 year later...

Never used a city pass so can't answer that one.

I love Sausalito for viewing the bay or marin headlands to view the gg bridge, ocean, bay, and lots of trails to walk. if you want sausalito you can ferry over and it drops you right in "downtown" sausalito. if you do this PM me as I live across the street if you want to meet up.

Street food, fridays at sf city hall they all gather I believe. I like the bacon one