Hello! Looking for advice on mandala on front and side of feet

tpm15

Hi everyone,

I want to get a mandala tattoo on my feet as my first tattoo.

I want my mandala spread across both feet, that extends to the inner sides of the feet as well (see reference pictures attached).Might the side of the foot fade more than the top of the foot, giving my tattoo a different aspect across the foot?

For the color, I hesitate between a black tattoo or a dark blue tattoo. Which color is more likely to stay vivid over the years? And is there anything I should know about dark blue tattoos?

PS: if anyone has picture of a similar tattoo I'd love to see it!

Thank you very much :)

14262800_182547605489057_1259327778_n.jpg

aba5ead2ec72cfea0c9a30973b3f4208.jpg

14712381_211035359329599_5889673938446843904_n.jpg

Edited by tpm15

I have that kind of decorative work on my feet (not a mandala). I elected not to go down the sides/near the bottom because it will fade and won't last nearly as long. You'll be getting to touched up a lot if you go down the sides like that. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but just go in knowing that.

IMG_8966.thumb.JPG.86afcc1baf587cac449b525f0296248c.JPG

Yep. The closer you get to the sole the more it's likely to wear down quickly. Feet also take a bit longer to heal on most people, so be prepared to go shoeless for a while and/or have a pattern that permits flip-flops or sandals that don't rub. 

Thank you for your answers!

I wouldn't mind some touch ups if that can ensure the tattoo will last on the side of the feet.
Do some tattooing techniques cause more wearing down than others (dotwork vs straighline vs more shading)? I plan to get a tattoo with little shading and few solid black areas.

And do the choice of dark blue vs black have an impact on wearing down?