Knoxville Tattoo Convention August 25-27

Ok, Knoxville may be a scruffy little town on the Tennessee river, but it has a tattoo convention and it has some GREAT mountains (the Great Smoky Mountains, in fact) nearby. This is the 5th year for the convention, and I've really enjoyed the three times I've been. Location is in the bottom level of the Holiday Inn World's Fair site and there is free parking just up the hill from it in city garages. Here is the web site: http://www.knoxvilletattooconvention.com/

I guess the burlesque and other things non-tattoo are common to these shows (the local one is all that I've had a chance to attend). Enigma has been here with his act a couple times. What I really like about it is seeing so many people enjoying their passion. The artists at the show don't often have their names mentioned on here, but that doesn't take away from their talents! It isn't a huge show where the far side of the room gets lost in the haze from bodies. They use two big halls and a nice entry area that is set up for refreshments and vendors.

So, take a little trip here to the hills of Appalachia. Knoxville is just a short hop from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the touristy areas of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Or if you prefer "the quieter side of the Smokys", you can enter the park through Townsend via 321.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time there yesterday! Even talked the wife into joining me, although I don't think she enjoyed it nearly as much as me. The "art fusion" contest is fun to watch - three artists each start on a canvas for 10 minutes, then switch for ten minutes, then switch again. The final outcomes are really different.