Do you think small back-of-neck tattoos have the same "stigma" as other neck tattoos?

Sunshine32

I can still only post in Initiation so that's why I'm posting here :)

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you think that small back-of-neck tattoos have the same "stigma" as large neck tattoos on the side or front? My friend and I are thinking about getting tattoos at a local shop who's having a promotion for cheap, small tattoos. I realize how bad that sounds lol but the shop is a well known, popular, local shop with excellent reviews. I haven't been tattooed there personally but I have friends who have and have a lot of mutual friends with the artists there. Once a year they do a "$60 Sunday" walk-in only where they do small tattoos for $60. It's kind of a silly "basic white girl" tattoo but my friend and I thought it would be something fun to do together. I'm thinking of getting a cat silhouette with some sort of simple pattern in it on the back of my neck. It doesn't have some huge deep meaning really, more of a fun just because tattoo, but I grew up with cats and have 4 cats now and am known a bit as the "married crazy cat lady."

Anyways, though I work in an office, I work in a manufacturing plant and my job has no issues with visible tattoos. (I have 1 tattoo currently on my calf but plan on getting half sleeves eventually.) I do have short hair though (pixie cut) so it would be visible virtually all the time. Is this a bad idea? I'm 26 y/o so it's certainly not a sure deal that I'll for this company the rest of my life either.

Something kind of like this is what I'm thinking but a silhouette of the cat from behind, not sideways (like the silhouette of the last picture): Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Should I consider a different location? I don't know where else would be a good spot for a small tattoo other than maybe ankle?

If you want the tattoo in the link, that is too much detail for a small tattoo.

Although tattoos have less stigma than they used to, the only person who's opinion counts is the person hiring you.

Just my two cents, but if you are worried about it, don't do it. I have two sleeves, back, chest and am working on a piece from my ankle up to my chest, but everything can be covered with long pants and long sleeves.

32 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

If you want the tattoo in the link, that is too much detail for a small tattoo.

Although tattoos have less stigma than they used to, the only person who's opinion counts is the person hiring you.

Just my two cents, but if you are worried about it, don't do it. I have two sleeves, back, chest and am working on a piece from my ankle up to my chest, but everything can be covered with long pants and long sleeves.

I think I might be confused on what a "small tattoo" is. Basically how they said it is under 3x3 OR doesn't take over a half hour. By the those standards wouldn't the ones in the link be considered small? Neither of them look to be that big.

At any rate, you're right that if I'm doubting it I probably shouldn't. I don't want a fun experience with my friend ruining options for me in the future. I think I'll go with the ankle instead and maybe simplify it a bit. Or come up with a new idea for a fun small tattoo.

Edited by Sunshine32

2 hours ago, Sunshine32 said:

I think I might be confused on what a "small tattoo" is.

Whatever they say it is.  :-)

Seriously though, too much ink in too small a space is a recipe for disaster. It might look good day one, but in a couple of years, it might not look so great.

I don't know, I chose not to tattoo only three parts of my body (ok head and .. excluded XD), hands feet and neck.. I think that the opinions that count are those of your boss and yourself, or who hires you.. front-neck tattoos of course have a big stigma, I think that anyone can and must do whatever he feels like but personally I don't like them, behind the neck it's still very visible so probably it has a similar stigma.. if you aren't 100% secure, choose another place! :) 

I like (as Hogrider said) to be able to cover my tattoos, hence I don't want ink on my hands or above my collarbones.. I like some tattoos that fit perfectly on hands and neck but one must still be concrete and think about the society he lives in, the environment and such.. 

My friend (female, works in an office, almost your age) has a small cat tattoo on her right wrist (she's left handed but I don't know if this counted something in the decision ahah) and she can hide it in big work meetings and such, the tattoo you posted for my brain isn't really a small tattoo, it requires space and since it's very beautiful I would consider to have it on an other part of your body :)

I'm always like, on one side, each one of us must be able to do what he wants if he doesn't harm other people so to me, one can 100% tattoo himself and I'm still fine, or body modifications and such, but on the other side I am always concrete and think a lot about the social situations and so on.. When I was a university student, at the exams I used to take away all of my piercings and cover up my tattoos, I'd have felt very very uncomfortable and unrespectful otherwise.. (no piercing since 10 years but at that time I had some).. the back neck even for a long-haired girl is still a greatly visible spot, like behind the ears.. I'd go with another place :P

Edited by Hel7

I have a small line drawing in John Lennon's hand on the back of my neck. Most people don't see it unless I put my hair up.

That said, my lower legs are covered, and so are the top of both of my arms. So. People know I have shit tons of tattoos. But I work for an international advertising conglomerate. No one cares about my tattoos.

Get it if you want it. Don't if you aren't sure.

yeah that's an advantage for a girl or a guy with long hair (like me until 2004-5 when I decided to go shaved like a soldier XD)

as we were saying, that tattoo needs way more space and she looks definitely undecided so I would go for another place. it's not the same of having a big neck tattoo of course but if she's very young and she's starting her job career maybe it's not the right time