is tattoo to dark?

Infamous089

hello all just here to get an opinion on my tattoo i got back in may. just curious if you all think the shading on his face and around his eye is to dark and if so can it be lightened up or is it to late? someone at work said they though it was to dark and it has me a bit paranoid.its from the video game the last of us 

thank you all

2017-08-17 16.54.34.jpg

5 hours ago, Infamous089 said:

hello all just here to get an opinion on my tattoo i got back in may. just curious if you all think the shading on his face and around his eye is to dark and if so can it be lightened up or is it to late? someone at work said they though it was to dark and it has me a bit paranoid.its from the video game the last of us 

thank you all

2017-08-17 16.54.34.jpg

It could definitely do with more shading and detail...maybe from a different artist though.  How do you like it?  I'm not familiar with the game.

I like it but I do agree it could use more detail. But I don't know if black can be lightened up or not. The artist used a picture of the guy where his side of his face was in shadow, but I didn't think he would make it as dark as the picture seeing it is a tattoo and all.this is the picture he went from. 

the_last_of_us___joel__ellie_portrait-t2.jpg

2 hours ago, Infamous089 said:

I like it but I do agree it could use more detail. But I don't know if black can be lightened up or not. The artist used a picture of the guy where his side of his face was in shadow, but I didn't think he would make it as dark as the picture seeing it is a tattoo and all.this is the picture he went from. 

the_last_of_us___joel__ellie_portrait-t2.jpg

Portraits are incredibly hard to do well and very few people do them really good. I would NOT go back to the same artist to try to get it fixed. I think your only hope is to find someone that specializes in portraits and coverups and see what they can do.

I won't go back. I never told the guy to do the tattoo in a portrait style that's why I guess it looks how it doe's. And honestly I don't care if it's portrait style or not as long as maybe someone can fix the shadow on the face and maybe add a bit more details to male it look no so plain I guess you can say

2 hours ago, Infamous089 said:

OK it's worse than I thought then, I'll see what I can do. I had this artist do some work on me before but I'm not sure what went wrong. Thanks guys 

What went wrong was the the tattooer was in WAY over his head on this tattoo and tried to do it anyway. It doesn't look unfixable, it's just going to take some time, money and maybe the aid of a laser. 

Where do you live, maybe someone on here could give you a recommendation?

Did you check this artists portfolio before letting him/her set the needle in your skin? I would never get a tattoo from someone that I hadn't seen pictures of previous work from, and I doubt that you would either. You said you didn't want the tattoo in portrait style, but you showed him/her that picture, which is indeed in portrait style. 

I don't mean to be mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me getting a tattoo from someone who clearly doesn't master their craft. 

The good idea is that yes, it's completely fixable! I've seen worse tattoos covered up and turned into masterpieces :) There are artists who specializes in cover-ups. I linked this artist in another thread, and I'll do it again here:

This artist is in Norway, so I'm guessing you're not willng to travel all the way here to do it. But there are tons of good artists out there, just google a bit. 

Good luck, hope you find someone who can make it shine!

thanks all for the response. those tattoos look awesome. yes i have checked his work before and i have even had him do a venom tattoo on my from spider-man. that is why i went back to him. now as for the picture let me rephrase what i said. he had the picture and had it as a reference picture i never gave him the picture to go by. but it is a good picture to use. i'm not sure why he made it look so washed out and cartoon like if he had a portrait picture to go.honestly i dont care what kind of style the tattoo is as long as it looked good but it does not. it looks very bland and washed out. i have booked another artist at a different shop to get this mess sorted out ,they do cover up/reworks and portrait style so i hope they can fix it and i have looked at the work of this artist as well.thanks all for the help. here is a picture of my venom tattoo the artist did as well. deff way better than the one he did here. maybe he had an off day.who knows.

20170909_225419.jpg

• 3 months later...

hello all I have an update on my tattoo. I had an artist do a rework on my tattoo and in my opinion has done a fantastic job. she has Ellie done and some of Joel's beard but still has finish him and the giraffe,so for now ill just have a picture of Ellie and when i get time to go back and get it finished ill post a full on picture! This artist has added so much more life and detail into the tattoo I believe

Collage 2017-12-09 22_24_37.jpg

2 hours ago, peaceridge said:

Infamous089

Who did you go to for the cover up?  I need a portrait artist in the NC/SC/Fl area where I'm traveling.

I went to sirens cove in powdersville s.c the artist that's doing my rework she does a great jobs with portrait style tattoo's as well. Look them up, I recommend them. Very friendly staff too and and she will really work with you on what you want done and go into detail with you about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...