Some more advice on a new and first tattoo

samsamsam

Hi, I’m new to the forum, and hopefully getting my first tattoo a week on Saturday. So just had a few questions as I’m struggling to get answers to.

im booked in with a tattooist, who asked me to email him the design which I have, is it wrong to expect a reply just to confirm he received it? It’s not been 3 weeks without a reply, is this normal? And I get the tattoo on Saturday?

I’d like to chance something about the design what’s the best way to do it? On the day of the tattoo (if it’s the first day you see the design) is it okay to ask to change a few things?

thanks!

It's not wrong to expect a reply, but you're probably not going to get a response at all.  Most don't show you the design until the day before or until you actually walk in, and some actually draw the design free hand on you!  But if your artist is flexible, you should be able to change up a couple of things and talk it through.

Email the change request, and maybe call their shop to make sure it was read (don't expect to talk to more than a receptionist if they are busy). It's normal to not see the design until you show up - but burn this into you brain - DON'T LET THEM PROCEED UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED! I made the mistake of accepting a wonky design that the artist said he'd correct when he inked it. He didn't and it took years and $$$$ la$er work to get it to where another artist could make it right.