Lurker now posting, first tattoo, tebori half-sleeve

piccalilli

Hello everyone!

Decided to come out of lurking, partially because I am really surprised that I have not seen any references to Horifuji at State of Grace in San Jose here. He is a thoroughly lovely person and feel fortunate to have his work on me. Imho he should get even more exposure (even if that may mean it will be progressively even harder to get more appointments with him, heh).

Anyway, it felt like the right time for me to finally get some work. I wanted something rather more on the traditional vein (whatever that means, exactly) and the craftsmanship of tebori really appealed to me (even if it won't necessarily look that different). I called State of Grace as I saw in the intertoobz that they had artists there that did tebori and I was referred to Horifuji.

I asked him via email for a half-sleeve with chest panel with a karasu tengu - like the ones seen on woodblock prints sparring with Ushiwakamaru (later known as the general Yoshitsune) on Mount Kurama. 

So, a few days before my first appointment 3-4 months later, he sent me a concept drawing of what he felt would be best and I was floored. He recommended actually including Ushiwakamaru on the chest panel (hikae?), having just swung his bokuto (wooden practice blade) at a quite smartly dressed karasu tengu on the arm that is slipping off a rock ledge by the water, with autumn Japanese maple leaves falling around.

The outline was done by machine in one session (photo of outline on Horifuji's Instagram here). Shading and the vast majority of the all colour done by tebori. Closer photo after starting on the colour here. A few small "flat" monochrome areas were done by machine shading, e.g. the brown on the bokuto that the tengu and Ushiwakamaru are holding. I deferred all decisions on colour and exact placement to him as he is the professional and I trust him completely :14_relaxed: .

Will have my final appointment in a month or so. As I have to fly to San Jose for my appointments I have done six sessions, each between 4.5 and 5.5 hours two consecutive days at a time to save on my airline miles. So something around 30 hours, so far?59ea84b26849b_5thsession.thumb.jpg.443acce42c61ac86d643bdd1b101fddf.jpg

Since this photo I have attached to his post was taken, I have had more work done. Only have a couple momiji to colour in and the eyes are left.  I'll try to take a more current photo to place in a more appropriate thread on the forum.

Sorry for the lengthy, possibly rather gushing,  first post.

Edited by piccalilli
I am a typo enthusiast.

On 20/10/2017 at 10:20 PM, JazzyMac said:

Very nice!  Yes, I follow both Horis on IG, so I'm a fan of his work.  Welcome to the forums!

On 21/10/2017 at 3:05 AM, Gingerninja said:

Congrats! It is awesome and well done on being committed on the travel. 

On 21/10/2017 at 9:42 AM, Emil said:

Beautiful work!

On 21/10/2017 at 3:59 PM, rdinak said:

Awesome work

17 hours ago, Devious6 said:

Beautiful work! Welcome!

Thank you everyone, although all I really did was (try to) sit there while he did his work :3_grin:.

On 21/10/2017 at 1:48 AM, scottyg said:

Looks amazing; about time for the other sleeve!

3 hours ago, el twe said:

Yeah, got plans for the other side?  Not to overlook the awesome work already done, of course...

Err... yes, I did realise that I really should after he started on it. Just for symmetry, naturally, hah... I am planning on talking to him about ideas for the right side next time I am there.

Hmm. I think I can now say that I see the whole "it can be addictive" thing.