Do you ever take a friend when you get a new tattoo?

rdinak

As long as the artist is okay with it I dont see any problem with having friends come along. Just dont bring the whole gang, filling up the studio.

I usually go alone, but friends often stop by, says hello and hang out for a few minutes or maybe buy me something to drink if I need some.

Last week, I saw the worst behavior in the shop. These two young (early 20's) people came in for small matching tattoos. She proceeded to FaceTime for at least 20 minutes, they made out with each other and were so disruptive. It was everything that I could do not to say anything. They were just below the line of being asked to leave. I was five feet away, in pain and I wanted to throat punch her. The artist grinned and bared it for the 30 minutes they were there. What the ** is wrong with people?

It's tough to turn down a cool lady you just met! Those are the periods when you want to spend all your time together... i mean.. if she's that cool and that's the direction things are going.

Can you play it cool during this 5hr session? is it on your ass?!  hahahahhahaha!

It could be cool, if she's a good conversationalist. She could add to the dynamic and memory of the tattoo session.  There are all kinds of factors to consider.

I have a new GF that likes tattoos. She was there for both of my back sessions and one last night. She hit it off well withy my artist and she's welcome. She's getting her first tattoo soon. Totally supportive so far and I've known her maybe 10 weeks.

There was someone in the shop recently, this couple were dating for a few months and had some sort of blow up ensued between them, the lady called her BF selfish to get a tattoo. Hope he punches the clock on that one quickly.

I really really like going to my sessions alone. I like being focused on the experience and on connecting with the artist too. I know some artists don't mind having you bring a companion but I also don't want to be worrying about anyone else—if they're okay, are they getting bored, are they hungry—while I'm getting tattooed. (Unless we're both getting tattooed.)

My brother went with me one time but that was a really quick session (less than an hour) and the two of us had fun chatting with the artist while she worked.

My aunt who was hosting me in Seattle arrived too early to pick me up after my appointment and she soon got bored so she and her husband left to have dinner while I was finishing up (it was a 9-hour session). 

One time, two travel companions insisted on walking me to the tattoo studio in Denmark. I told them they can say hi to the artist but that they wouldn't be allowed in the tattooing area. So they did that, gushed over his design, and left. 

Then again it might be a different scenario if you're talking about a person you really really like. Maybe weigh if having her there for the entire five hours would make the experience better for you?

Otherwise, maybe you can ask her to drop by when the session is close to being done.

:)

Edited by pam

The place where my artist works doesn't allow anyone to come back with you anymore. I live in a college town, and sorority girls come in in packs to get a tiny tattoo and fourteen girls want to come back with them. So they just had to say no one could come back. My Mom and I got Mother-Daughter tattoos this past Saturday, and she had to be back there by herself. I know my artist well, and they had a good chat, but I still would have liked to be there. Sorority girls and frat boys ruin everything. :4_joy:

I have trouble getting to my "happy place" if I have anyone with me, and, in general, I think it is a distraction for most everyone. If the person is cool, the artist is okay with it, and they know how to behave and blend into the scenery then it can be fine. So often it is like these nightmare scenarios described above, however, and that's what ruins it for the cool kids, as usual...

My experience went well. About half way through the session my friend shows up to meet my artist and say hello. We all laughed and chatted. Talk about a small world. My artist knew the guy who did her last work. Dude ran out of Bactine and she ran out to get some. 

Needless to say my Artist has a future customer. The perfect balance of all parties being flexible and cool.

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend always brings something, coffee, iced tea, candy, etc. Nice when break time comes. People often stop in at the shop just to say hi or show off a healing tattoo. She's getting her first tattoo in a week, she's excited about it. Its good for her to see the process up close. Last night she came in about a 1/2 hour into my work, stayed about another hour and headed out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually go with a friend who's getting a tattoo on the same day with me or accompany someone who needs support xD
My first time, I went along with a friend who was getting his like 5th tat. I did pass out for a few seconds when the needle touched a certain part on my wrist lol

• 1 year later...

I've gone with two others before, but we all got something so the shop didn't mind us being there with each other. I have went with others to get theirs done but normally shops only allow one person other than the one getting work done back there with them. Any more than that is just crowding

I prefer it to just be myself and the artist. 

Bringing a friend would just be distracting for me with regards to my discussions with the artist, and making sure they're still having fun, or having to talk when I prefer not to talk.

The current artist who is doing my sleeve does not prefer to talk so that works out pretty well for us.

Edited by ChoWai