Tattoo advice

ocdcollector

I currently have a full sleeve foodog tattoo which I dived into without much thought.

People are telling me its decent and I should not put so much thought into it, but I'm terribly obsessed with its 'perfection'

Hope to get some comments on how I can improve on it..

oaal5l.jpg

2w556j6.jpg

de1lhx.jpg

xfxa4g.jpg

What is it that you don't like? If you can't define the problem, you probably can't come up with a solution. That's a nice tattoo, I'd leave it alone. IMHO you are more likely to make it worse than better by screwing around with it.

The best thing you can do is use this as a lesson to put more thought into future tattoos, if you are unsatisfied with this one for some reason.

3 hours ago, ocdcollector said:

I currently have a full sleeve foodog tattoo which I dived into without much thought.

People are telling me its decent and I should not put so much thought into it, but I'm terribly obsessed with its 'perfection'

Hope to get some comments on how I can improve on it..

it looks great,

like was said, leave it alone and plan the next one,

and remember "tattooing/tattoos" is not a "perfect" art form,

imperfections help make it what it is.

From what I can see, you have a very nice piece of artwork. If it was on my body I would be happy with it.  If you feel that it doesn't "pop" enough, add color.. You've got a beautiful tattoo that your artist poured his heart into.

Remember, imperfection is beauty!! 

hi guys i am very thankful for the positive comments. i know it is decent as a few have said.. i guess a part of me just wonders if it can be better.. very indecisive.. like tattoo has been progressing over the years and mine being recent, i could have done so much better.

has anyone ever felt this way?

Hey,. I go through the SAME doubts and fears into and after every appointment I have had. I know I love great tattoos and think there is nothing more aesthetically appealing to me than great placement and art choice/work. HOWEVER, my view of myself and my choices I grade on the sharpest curve. I may actually have OCD and for this reason I need incubating time after a tattoo to get used to it, let it set in, accept that I have made a decision that is permanent and that's very remarkable in and of itself for someone who even has difficulty with deciding what to eat.  Part of my problem is also that I romanticize and love the experience of being in the shop, waiting for the drawing like a groom about to meet his wife in an arranged marriage, the smell of the cleaning solvant, the initial shocking burn and then relaxation that washes over me during the session and after.  

I as a coping mechanism for indecisiveness I can be rather impulsive. Not always a characteristic I end up happy about. 

All in all, from what I see, your tattoo, the skill with which it was created all look great.  You may just be psyching yourself out, which I can relate with. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 8:35 PM, ocdcollector said:

hi guys i am very thankful for the positive comments. i know it is decent as a few have said.. i guess a part of me just wonders if it can be better.. very indecisive.. like tattoo has been progressing over the years and mine being recent, i could have done so much better.

has anyone ever felt this way?

No, I have never felt this way. In so many ways, its not even your tattoo and your need for perfection is probably going to just stress out your artist and result in a worse tattoo. 

Plus, one day you will be dead and this thing wont even exist anymore. Just enjoy it while you can! 

I like the Daruma below the kneecap.

Eyes[edit]

200px-Daruma_doll.jpg

A daruma doll with one eye filled in for wishing

"The eyes of Daruma are often blank when sold. Monte A. Greer, author of Daruma Eyes, described the "oversized symmetrical round blank white eyes" as a means to keep track of goals or big tasks and motivate them to work to the finish. The recipient of the doll fills in one eye upon setting the goal, then the other upon fulfilling it. In this way, every time they see the one-eyed Daruma, they recall the goal. One explanation how this custom started says that in order to motivate Daruma-san to grant your wish, you promise to give him full sight once the goal is accomplished. This practice might also have something to do with the "enlightenment", the ideal attainment of Buddhism. This custom has led to a phrase in Japanese translated as "Both Eyes Open". Referring to "opening" the second eye, it expresses the realization of a goal. Traditionally, the Daruma was purchased as a household, and that only the head of the household would paint in the eyes." - Wikipedia

i thank everyone for their kind words.

i was thinking of adding a little geometrical into this sleeve, how do you think that would play out?

ncqgx.jpg

also for the cherry blossom, i have opted for red, giving it slight highlights. would appreciate some advice!

Edited by ocdcollector

10 minutes ago, SStu said:

not sure where you would incorporate the geometrical, but a small amount of non-bright color accents won't hurt the presentation, if you want it. 

was thinking of a little geometrical on the background area, on the ‘wave’ like parts!

thank you for your opinion on the color!